The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dueling Bojos

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Dueling Bojos

by Jenise » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:22 pm

At our neighborhood tasting last night, five French and one American gamay were tasted side by side by a group of 67 (mostly inexperienced) tasters. I purchased the ESJ, and my partner purchased the Frenchies. I did not know which he had chosen, didn't pretaste any of the wines, and have never had Steve's Bone Jolly Gamay before so for me, it was a blinder tasting than usual.

In order of my preferences:

1) Most enchanting nose by a mile, lighter color, strawberries, minerals, pomegranate. So pure it's almost weightless. I no sooner have that thought than I wonder if I'm loving the ESJ, about which either Steve or Tom Hill used that very descriptor (weightless). And indeed I was, this was the 2006 Edmunds St. John Bone Jolly Gamay Noir, Witters Vineyard, El Dorado. My first place wine, but only group 5th. I note that the other lighter wine, which was my 2nd place choice, was group 6th (where the heaviest was their 1st). I have to add that this wine scored very well at my table, garnering a 1st, 2nd or 3rd place vote from almost every taster, even Harry who has some olfactory issues and has to base his opinion on taste only. However, I'm told that at another table every single taster screwed up their noses and went "ew". Obviously, a flawed bottle. I could have replaced their wine if someone had brought that to my attention earlier, but they didn't. $16.

2) Pretty nose, cherry-strawberry in flavor, spicy and dusty. Delicate with a haunting complexity. I'm enamored but the group isn't, so my 2nd and group's last place wine is the 2006 Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive, Fleurie. $17.50.

3) Peppery nose, dark better fruit, black raspberry notes, biggest body and lowest acidity of the group. Jammy notes developed over time in the glass. I gave it 3rd place before the jamminess appeared, would have placed it 5th later. But the typically American palates of my fellow tasters loved the big body and low acidity, natch, and gave this wine 1st place, though only by a nose over the wines I relegated to 4th and 5th place. And it was the 2006 Louis Claude Desvignes, Cote du Py, Morgon. $13.34.

4) Very nice gamay flavors, balanced and attractive with some of the purity that wines 1 and 2 showed, but nothing special stood out for me to note. Should have been my 3rd place wine, but for all that this group's American palate favored wine #3 I'll give them a lot of credit for making this their 2nd place wine. 2005 Domaine Pascal Berthier, Saint-Amour. $12.50.

5) Cherry vanilla nose followed by cola-ness. Nice on the palate but a bit simple compared to the others and I find the finish feels a bit hot. My 5th, group 3rd, it's the 2006 Michel Tete Clos de Fief, Julienas.

6) Raspberry tones with very mild brett. And even though it's a good kind of brett, I think it mars the wine enough to send it immediately into last place, and besides it's a bit closed and very little shows on the palate. My 6th, group 4th, for the 2006 Robert Perroud L'Enfer des Balloquets, Brouilly, a wine I've had and admired much in earlier vintages.

Overall a nice showing though, that makes me conclude that I don't drink nearly enough Beaujolais. These are truly the wines I could drink every day and never tire of.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Dueling Bojos

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Nice tasting. I am hoping to do the same kind of thing some time next spring when it (hopefully) gets warmer around here again.

LEt's assume that the other bottle of ESJ had an issue and not dwell on its placement, but it's a bizarre showing for the Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive, which is one of the best Beaujolais out there year after year.

And nice title.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:08 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:it's a bizarre showing for the Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive, which is one of the best Beaujolais out there year after year..

I agree it is great stuff but Jenise didn't say exactly why the rest of her group didn't like it?

My critique is that sometimes it can be a bit tannic and doesn't show as a 'fun and easy' Beaujolais. But that doesn't come across from her notes.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:21 pm

But Rahsaan, aren't we obligated to castigate those who dislike any hip Beaujolais or other "tastes great/less commercial" wines?

Oh, wait. Wrong board.

Never mind.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:29 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:But Rahsaan, aren't we obligated to castigate those who dislike any hip Beaujolais or other "tastes great/less commercial" wines?

Well, first we need to know why they dislike it. Then we can figure out if castigation is in order :wink:
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:43 pm

Jenise; I'm quite sure what I shipped was the '07 Bone-Jolly, not the '06. Also, the wine is bottled under screwcap, and all bottled from the same tank, so the bottle variation suggested is a little hard to imagine; my first thought is the folks at the table like a different style wine.
Most importantly, though, I'm glad YOU liked it!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:09 pm

Let's not get too worked up about 67 neighbors ranking stuff. My neighbors are prolly a lot like Jenise's...how shall I say it??
FWIW, I had the 2002 Shadow tonight decanted for 4 hours...tannic little bastard, in a nice sort of way, with a grilled flat iron steak.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Jenise; I'm quite sure what I shipped was the '07 Bone-Jolly, not the '06. Also, the wine is bottled under screwcap, and all bottled from the same tank, so the bottle variation suggested is a little hard to imagine; my first thought is the folks at the table like a different style wine.
Most importantly, though, I'm glad YOU liked it!

You did, typo on my part--I'll fix it. What you say makes sense re bottle variation, but I know what they told me later about how everyone reacted to it, and it would just be impossible even for a group of beginners with a preference for weightier wines to react like that to what I had in my glass. Anyway, I was quite pleased to have enjoyed your wine that much. And I'm spreading the word--took a copy of my notes and an extra bottle to the wine seller in town who's dying to get his hands on your wine.
David M. Bueker wrote:Nice tasting. I am hoping to do the same kind of thing some time next spring when it (hopefully) gets warmer around here again.

David M. Bueker wrote: it's a bizarre showing for the Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive, which is one of the best Beaujolais out there year after year.

I loved it, and a number of others appreciated it as well; I certainly didn't hear any specific complaints It just didn't have as many fans as the others. But it was definitely more about nuance than power, and last night, for the most part that was certain death with this crowd. But I'm reminded of something: one of our Roilettes was corked so four bottles had to make do for all 67 people. In a group of novice tasters with generally poor palate memory anyway, that might have put any wine on the bottom--they ran out of it first.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:29 pm

I had the 2002 Shadow tonight decanted for 4 hours...tannic little bastard, in a nice sort of way, with a grilled flat iron steak.

Bill,

The last time we drank the Shadow I decanted at 9:00 a.m. for an 8:00 p.m. dinner. You warned me away a few weeks ago, so I'm going to leave it on the self for another 6 months, or so.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:34 pm

Jenise; I'm quite sure what I shipped was the '07 Bone-Jolly, not the '06. Also, the wine is bottled under screwcap, and all bottled from the same tank, so the bottle variation suggested is a little hard to imagine; my first thought is the folks at the table like a different style wine.

Steve,

My wife and just drank another '06 Bone-Jolly last night. It was quite delicious. Rarely does an open bottle survive until dinner.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Sam; I'm glad to know you enjoyed the '06. Wait till you try the '07. I think the vines, planted in 2000, have really begun to turn the corner, and the expressiveness seems to be ramping up. Hope this isn't too spammy, but I'm really starting to get excited about this vineyard!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Steve,

Any thoughts on 2008 (for the Noir as well as the Rosé)? I'm still drinking up the last of all that 2006 Rosé I bought & the Noir is available locally. I think I will be back for more in the 2008 vintage (plus you qualify in my no screwcap, no purchase program).
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:24 pm

Jenise wrote:.

Overall a nice showing though, that makes me conclude that I don't drink nearly enough Beaujolais. These are truly the wines I could drink every day and never tire of.

I believe very few people drink enough Beaujolais. Nouveaus Beaujolais and DeBeouf (sp?)have done more to ruin the name of Beaujolais than anything else. DeBeouf makes some decent special vineyard wines but there regular cheap stuff is not good. Beaujolais is one of the most versatile red wines around. It also ages more than most think.
Walt
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:08 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Steve,

Any thoughts on 2008 (for the Noir as well as the Rosé)? I'm still drinking up the last of all that 2006 Rosé I bought & the Noir is available locally. I think I will be back for more in the 2008 vintage (plus you qualify in my no screwcap, no purchase program).

David; we won't bottle the '08 until February, and it usually takes 6-10 months for the wine to really begin to settle in, and show what it's made of. The '08s are great, so far, but the '07 will be drinking nicely in advance. And the '07 is really damn nice. (Pouring at Slanted Door in SF, Eccolo in Berkeley).
Steve
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 pm

Sam; I'm glad to know you enjoyed the '06. Wait till you try the '07. I think the vines, planted in 2000, have really begun to turn the corner, and the expressiveness seems to be ramping up. Hope this isn't too spammy, but I'm really starting to get excited about this vineyard!

Thanks Steve. I will be looking for it.
Sam

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

by Marc D » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 pm

Jenise,

Thanks for the very interesting notes.

Can I ask where your friend found the other Beaujolais? Those are wines that I like to buy, but have to get shipped to me.
The Roilette regular I can buy locally, but not the Tardive or the others.

I guess I am a little surprised by the Desvignes Morgon. Morgon is often bigger than the other Beaujolais crus, but Desvignes usually has some acidity and comes across with better balance. It was a warm year, and maybe the acidity is buried under the baby fat and fruit.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:57 pm

Marc D wrote:Can I ask where your friend found the other Beaujolais? Those are wines that I like to buy, but have to get shipped to me.
The Roilette regular I can buy locally, but not the Tardive or the others.

Of course. We ordered those through Pete's Market in Seattle. Which means they're in the state distribution system and any seller up here can order them for you, too.

Re the Desvignes, you could be right about the acidity--none of these wines were decanted in advance, so they didn't have much time to develop.