The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: Grenache/Garnacha.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Open Mike: Grenache/Garnacha.

by Tim York » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:31 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Tim asks......Does the Domaine Lafage claim to be 100% Grenache?

The label reads Grenache Noir so minimum 85%? You might know (the rules) better than I!!

It seems as if the rules for VdP des Côtes Catalanes require 100% content if one grape variety only is named on the label. Here is the relevant decree http://www.onivins.fr/Docs/VinPays/62.pdf .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Thanks Tim. I wonder how many of us were aware of that %?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:44 pm

WTN: `06 Artazuri Garnacha Navarro Rosado, Spain.

I do not usually open rosados when it is minus 4 ourside but have 3/4 pinks in the cooler for visitors. Year in, year out this wine is a winner for under $20.
Color is a medium pink and on the nose I found some strawberry, candy and lively floral tones. Very attractive indeed.
With some chicken skewers, the mouthfeel was pretty good! Refreshing red berry fruits and a nice tingle on tip of the tongue. Raspberry and very fruity, some sweetness naturally.
Seek out the newer vintage, the `07.
no avatar
User

Gert Claes

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 pm

by Gert Claes » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:00 pm

WTN: Viña collado Rosado 2007
Young, fresh fruity rosé, both good fruit and nice acidity. About 13% of alcohol, but not that you would note. The bottle always is too small, and very good QPR at about € 4.80. Ideal for summer drinking with BBQ's and with spicy stews.

WTN: Santo Cristo 60 aniversario 2004
100% old vines Garnacha, aged in oak for 18 months, this one is pretty dense and concentrated, with the nice 'chocolate' touch of old Garnacha. Both round and powerful, but not really cheap at €25. Still, a very nice bottle for special occasions.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks Gert, are both these wines from same bodega?
no avatar
User

Gert Claes

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 pm

by Gert Claes » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:24 pm

Yes, both from Santo Cristo, Ainzon
no avatar
User

MichaelB

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:32 pm

Sierra southmost, California

by MichaelB » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:19 pm

WTN ’01 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas. There was a lot of bottle sediment when I tasted this last year, so this time I decanted—good move. Cedar on the nose and still mouth-puckeringly tannic on the palate. Cedar and licorice, but still fruity, even brambly. No oak. At 14.5% abv, it reminded me a little of an unusually tannic zinfandel, but it’s 75% grenache, 10% mourvedre, 10% syrah and 5% “other” blend. This wine needed food, and it was good with rare beef and even better a few hours later with Manchego cheese. Very tasty, and I’m in no hurry to open the other bottles. It will be interesting to see how this develops. $22 in 2003.

Is there any new world grenache that ages as reliably as Rhone wines?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:42 am

I would think it is probable that Australia might produce some "agers". More than likely they all consummed locally! Guess David might look in and help out. Speculation about suitable terroir might be of interest too? but I myself don`t want to go there!!!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:24 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:
Brian, Gigondas right?

LOL. My typing/lack of proofing is a wonder to behold. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:27 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:I would think it is probable that Australia might produce some "agers".

The importer whom I visited on Saturday lists a few Oz Grenache from between 1998 and 2000, including three from Clarendon Hills. The prices, ranging from € 35 to 70, discourage me from experimenting.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:29 pm

I asked this question on AusForum! Very few non-committal answers. Wait and see, they said (grin).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:48 am

Tim York wrote:Bob, very few wines from CDR or Villages are 100% Grenache, indeed I can only think of one from Gramenon. Rayas, of course, is and Tony Fletcher told us about one from Vacqeyras. Same goes for Côtes du Roussillon and Villages, except for one made by Hervé Bizeul, la Petite Siberie, costing €200!!! Even less in Languedoc. However, Grenache character shines through most of the blends where it is more than 50%.

Here is a nice CdR from the "Best bang for your buck tasting" tonite!

WTN: `05 Domaine de l`Ameillaud, Rhone.

70% Grenache, 10% Syrah, 20% Carignan. 14% alc, good natural cork, $16 Cdn

Has some resemblance to a Cairanne I thought. Dark ruby in color, nose was an appealing blackcurrant, spice, earth, herbal quality as it warmed. To me, pretty classic.
Excellent palate with raspberry, medium tannins, good structure balance. Found some spice as it opened and filled out very nicely. Good deal considering our high prices.
60 participants in the tasting, some newbies, but very well liked overall. Will post other wines asap.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:56 am

Tim York wrote:The importer whom I visited on Saturday lists a few Oz Grenache from between 1998 and 2000, including three from Clarendon Hills. The prices, ranging from € 35 to 70, discourage me from experimenting.

I'm not sure how well Clarendon Hills Grenache age either - I had an 01 recently that felt very clunky, alcoholic and showed a bit of VA. (This was at a dinner where the person who brought it remarked how much it had fallen apart since youth - he'd bought it on release and found it a much better wine then.)
The one really outstanding Grenache I've had from Down Under was a Noon 'Vintage Port' I tasted earlier this year - fortified Grenache at 20% alcohol, incredibly chocolatey, crammed with lots of red fruits, berries, spices and incredibly delicious without any sense of heat or being over the top.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:42 am

Salil Benegal wrote:
Tim York wrote:The importer whom I visited on Saturday lists a few Oz Grenache from between 1998 and 2000, including three from Clarendon Hills. The prices, ranging from € 35 to 70, discourage me from experimenting.

I'm not sure how well Clarendon Hills Grenache age either - I had an 01 recently that felt very clunky, alcoholic and showed a bit of VA. (This was at a dinner where the person who brought it remarked how much it had fallen apart since youth - he'd bought it on release and found it a much better wine then.)
The one really outstanding Grenache I've had from Down Under was a Noon 'Vintage Port' I tasted earlier this year - fortified Grenache at 20% alcohol, incredibly chocolatey, crammed with lots of red fruits, berries, spices and incredibly delicious without any sense of heat or being over the top.

So it looks as if I am right in keeping my 35-70 range Grenache (euro) bucks for CndP.

I am not surprised about the sweetie. Some superb ones from 100% grenache in the French Catalan region.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:45 pm

WTN: `05 Domaine Montrose "La Ballade des Lezards", VdP des Cotes de Thongue.

Guess fair to say think Herault. This Vin de Pays according to Rosemary George has "over 20 producers........Cotes des Thongue more of a cachet and an identity...look for Domaine de l`Arjolle and Prieure d`Amilhac".

Synthetic cork, 14% alc, $20 Cdn, decanted one hour, no sediment noted, one year in cellar.

Color. Very pale red-ruby, no depth whatsoever. Orange bricking on the rim a surprise.

Nose. Has an initial warm feel, quite soft. Cherry, hint of spice, blackberry...very little Grenache character as I know it (10% Syrah).

Palate. Needed a day to show it`s stuff! Original thoughts were soft, dry, low acidity, juicy, low tannins. Was not that impressed at all but given some time overnight filled out nicely. Cherry, raspberry but think fruit was not that ripe on harvesting. Was really a so-so experience for me overall.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:12 pm

Côtes du Rhône Villages Rasteau “Prestige “ 1998 – Domaine la Soumade (André Roméro) – Alc. 14% made from old vines of Grenache 60%, Syrah 20%, Mourvèdre 10% and others 10%.

I served this straight from the bottle pouring about 10 minutes before the meal. I should have decanted this wine two hours before the meal for reasons which will be apparent.
C: Deep opaque red with no bricking.
N: At first restrained red and dark fruit overwhelmed by strong “off” aromas of cheese and rancid butter which slowly receded. Now, 2 hours later, the bottle containing heeltaps smells discreetly of fresh red fruit with touches of cherry brandy and mint. Reduction, even after 10 years?
P: Happily the “off” aromas were only dimly perceptible towards the finish with cherry brandy notes dominating; otherwise a gutsy and robust Southern Rhône with typically opulent and sweet Grenache fruit encased in a still marked tannic structure. A tad simple but would it has blossomed with more complexity if left for two hours in a decanter? 15.5/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:23 pm

And a question about how it might have showed up on day 2 Tim?!!

Anyhows found this for you...>

http://domainelasoumade.over-blog.com/

I also noticed on Gang of Pour website, the Rasteau can reach $45 US. Yikes!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:12 pm

Just about ready to open another bottle of the `05 Fuego. Here is my TN on the first bottle tasted last year.

This garnacha from the Gil/Bodegas Zabrin stable is one to look out for, $14 Cdn forumites. Real modern label, which I can post later on. I drank this wine over 3 evenings and it really stood up nicely but with no big changes.

WTN: `05 Bodegas Zabrin Calatayud Granacha de Fuego Old Vines, Spain.

Colour is a nice purple with medium intense centre. Spicy nose with blackberries, plum, colve and nutmeg. Just bursts out of the glass and a hint of cocoa as it breathes. Medium to full bodied, broad flavours of plum, blueberry, hint of oak in background. Tannins are nicely rounded, has great acidity but not hot thankfully. Here`s some chocolate as it warms, touch of earthness. I can`t believe the price of this as I get ready to go out and buys some more. Terrific QPR here forumites!!! Perfect match for my braised lamb shanks.

http://www.deuxhwine.com/img_product/00294/00294.jpg
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:02 pm

Tim York wrote:Bob, according to this site http://www.chateauloisel.com/vin/langue ... -blanc.htm oustal blanc naick is cinsault dominated with only 10% Grenache. Oustal Blanc has a good reputation and I remember enjoying their wines at a tasting but not buying any because I thought them over-priced.

Well, better late than never. I have just pulled my `03 so gonna see what all the hoop-la is about! Stay tuned.
Previous