The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Cedarville NaylorVnyd PS '02...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Cedarville NaylorVnyd PS '02...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:24 pm

After e-mailing in my next order, thought I'd try:
1. CedarvilleVnyd PetiteSirah NaylorVnyd/ElDorado/SierraFoothills (144 cs; 14.7%; http://www.CedarvilleVineyard.com) FairPlay 2002: Very dark/black color; beautiful licorice/peppery/blackberry/PS earthy/dusty light pencilly/oaked slight smokey/pungent/mocha nose; soft bit tannic/hard strong licorice/peppery/blackberry/PS some earthy/dusty/minerally light pencilly/oak flavor; long quite peppery/pungent/licorice blackberry/earthy/forest floor/PS slight tannic/drying finish; not a dramatic powerhouse of a PS but just mighty fine drinking and shows the Eldorado/dusty/earthy terroir; great price at $21.
1. I have followed CedarvilleVnyds from the very start, of course. Jonathan & Susan make some of the consistently best wines being made in ElDoradoCnty; one of the flagship wineries IMHO. They just seem to quietly toil away up there in FairPlay making emminently drinkable wines at great prices and just don't attract much attention or buzz, except for those few of us who like drinking deelish wines at a great price. Never had any big/bombastic/95+ wines from them...but have also never had one that disappointed either. They're not the kind of cult wines that'll have your guests swooning when they see it being poured, unless your guests are already in the know. My kind of wines.
This '02 PS is really coming together nicely and should easily go out another 2-4 yrs I would guess.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Cedarville NaylorVnyd PS '02...(short/boring)

by Jenise » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:04 pm

Friends we travelled with bought some of this (Jonathan was selling library wines) at the winery last month, they'll be pleased to read your tasting note.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov