The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Amarone and alcohol levels

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Amarone and alcohol levels

by Jenise » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Does Amarone suffer the same rise in alcohol levels in hot years that typical table wines do? I was discussing Amarone with a friend today, and this came up. I didn't know if drying the grapes would reduce that effect or if so, how much. I don't pay attention to Amarone year in/year out to have a clue.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Amarone and alcohol levels

by Bob Henrick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:17 pm

Jenise wrote:Does Amarone suffer the same rise in alcohol levels in hot years that typical table wines do? I was discussing Amarone with a friend today, and this came up. I didn't know if drying the grapes would reduce that effect or if so, how much. I don't pay attention to Amarone year in/year out to have a clue.

Jenise, given that Alcohol level is a product of sugar in the grape, (and how long the fermentation goes on) and that drying the grape, whether on the vine or on a straw bed, I see little difference. It concentrates the sugar and the flavors. I've never made wine of course, but that is how it seems to play out in my feeble mind.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:53 pm

I’ll put it this way for you Jenise if you produce a “regular” table wine from Amarone grapes without drying them you will probably produce a wine with 2 to 5 % less alcohol then producing an Amarone wine from the same grapes. During the drying process more than 50% of the liquid portion (mostly water) is lost. The same thing goes with ice wines, 25 degree Brix during the freezing process could easily become 38 or 40 degree Brix.

Salute
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:33 am

High alcohol is to be expected and dare I say even traditional in Amarone. Amarone is after all one of the traditional wine styles that fits many characteristics of the modern high-alcohol fruit bombs (but with more complexity and depth of course).
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Victorwine wrote:I’ll put it this way for you Jenise if you produce a “regular” table wine from Amarone grapes without drying them you will probably produce a wine with 2 to 5 % less alcohol then producing an Amarone wine from the same grapes. During the drying process more than 50% of the liquid portion (mostly water) is lost. The same thing goes with ice wines, 25 degree Brix during the freezing process could easily become 38 or 40 degree Brix.

Salute

I didn't present my question very well, apparently. Yes, this I understood, what I wondered was if hotter years produce Amaraones with higher alcohol, which of course happens with regular table wines. I would presume they do, but didn't know for sure.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:17 pm

Hotter years result in greater sugars, so yes the resultant Amarone would tend to be higher in alcohol. And correspondlingly low in acids.

Keep in mind, however, that it would depend on the type of yeasts used. Some yeasts can tolerate higher alcohol levels before they die (the alcohol, as their waste product, kills them).

Also, process matters: amarone tends to be a slow, gradual, unhurried fermentation, and it stops and starts with the temperature.

Also, you can ferment out to a desired level---and then, it is possible to stop fermentation, filter out the dead yeasts, and remove any residual sugars. Or you can leave the sugars in, call it Recioto, and charge even more for it! :D
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:45 pm

My kneejerk reaction would be that Amarone, which I'd imagine is usually pushing the limit for alcohol-tolerance of its yeasts, would be sweeter rather than appreciably more alcoholic in hot years. Just my non-expert 2¢, though.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Anders Källberg

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:48 am

Stockholm, Sweden

by Anders Källberg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:11 pm

I would rather guess that in years with unusually high sugar levels in the grapes one would choose not to dry the grapes as long time as in cooler years, thus arriving in the same alcohol levels in the finished wines. In particular since Amarone is supposed to be a dry wine.

Cheers,
Anders
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:32 pm

I think Hoke is correct; remember, however, that the harvest for grapes to be dried for Amarone (and Recioto) are usually picked a bit earlier than grapes for regular Valpolicella (to preserve the acidity necessary to balance the alcoholic warmth). In an extremely hot year, like 2003, even a fairly early picking may give a soupier, flatter Amarone than one made in a more temperate vintage.

All things being equal, the warmer the vintage, the higher the sugar at picking (and often: less water in the grapes) and the higher the alcohol in the resulting Amarone. In extremely hot years like 2003, however, the combination of heat & drought actually causes the vines to shut down, with a corresponding halt of sugar production (and sometimes, an actual slight reduction in sugars) and the grapes may fail to completely mature, so that the skins remain fairly tannic, and even slightly deficient in color.

There is some debate among Amarone lovers/purists as to the quality or lack thereof of the 2003 Vintage for Amarone and Recioto; the secret to a great Amarone is balancing the richness, weight, and alcohol of the wine with a certain freshness and verve that comes from the acidity. The Valpolicella is actually an area that normally qualifies as a "cool climate" viticultural area; it is actually slightly farther North than Bordeaux, and just a few degrees farther South (in latitude) than Vosne-Romanée.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:50 am

Excellent post, Marco!

Regarding alcohol content, I will add only that certain cynical persons in the business tell me that the alcohol numbers on many Amarone labels bear little relation to reality--that "16%" really means more like "20%."

I guess I'd also say that there seems to me to be an unusually wide variety of styles in Amarone production. For example, Stefano Cesari's Brigaldara emphasizes fruit and freshness (to use Marco's excellent descriptor, "verve"), while Roberto Mazzi tends toward the more traditional big, extracted style. These are just two examples, not meant to be definitive.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Excellent post, Marco!

Regarding alcohol content, I will add only that certain cynical persons in the business tell me that the alcohol numbers on many Amarone labels bear little relation to reality--that "16%" really means more like "20%."

Not sure you are going to get the yeasts they use living anywhere near that high. I'd tend to believe the 16% in this case.

Hoke - do you know what the alcohol tolerance of Italian yeasts used in Veneto might be?
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:29 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Excellent post, Marco!

I don't believe unfortified wines ever go north of 18%, I would guess not much north of 16%.

It is true that there isn't much enforcement of the alcohol leeway unless you are paying too little tax, in which case the Feds are very attentive...
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:58 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:I don't believe unfortified wines ever go north of 18%, I would guess not much north of 16%.

That was my recollection as well.

I think that Anders hope that they would dry the grapes less in hot years is probably a vain one, and overrates the winemaking attention to detail common in Italy. I've seen a very pragmantic attitude, and would expect that they'd dry the grapes the usual time and the ferment would stop when it stopped. The result would be higher RS in the wine.
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:16 pm

Bill:

Actually, in the past 20 years, the general attention to detail in wine-making in the Valpolicella (esp. for the Amarone and Recioto wines) has been considerable and many producers have backed it up with large infusions of cash. Twenty years ago, there was an already ubiquitous inspection of the drying grapes between late September and January-March (the drying period); inspections took place as often as once a week during periods of high humidity (with bunches of grapes infected with mold, even botrytis, being discarded). More recently, many producers have invested large sums in building specially ventilated, enclosed warehouses which are used as drying lofts, whereas previously, the grapes were dried in semi-enclosed spaces, exposed to natural variations in temperature and humidity.

I lament Italy's pendulum swing towards hyper-technical wine-making, along with the profusion (and ensuing standardization) of wines brought on by the celebrity wine-makers and the over-use of barriques (esp. in Amarone); I remember, with more than a little nostalgia, the idiosyncratic diversity which existed among producers in Italy a generation ago.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:34 pm

Besides advancements and modernization of wine-making techniques man has a better understanding of “canopy management” and how it affects the vine itself and the physiology and quality of the fruit that it produces. When it comes to temperature, and things like solar radiation and radiation cooling “the actual “canopy temperature” or “canopy microclimate” now becomes critical in determining the health status of the vine. Because of solar radiation and depending upon canopy management techniques the canopy temperature could be 20 to 30 degrees F higher than ambient temperatures. On the other hand due to radiation cooling and again depending upon canopy management techniques canopy temperature could be several degrees cooler than ambient temperatures. Don’t get me wrong for the most part there is not a great difference between the climate of a region and the “canopy microclimate”. But because man now has a better understanding of canopy management, spacing of the vines the rows and orientation all play a roll in the health of the vine and quality of the fruit it produces.

Salute
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:31 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:I don't believe unfortified wines ever go north of 18%, I would guess not much north of 16%.

Just getting an unfortified wine to 18% is difficult. Maybe some of the newer strains can do it easier but back in the early 1990's the winery I was working at made a Late Harvest Zin that got to 18% but it took a lot of time and TLC. The initial must had to be watered back to get the gravity down to allow fermentation to start and then we fed the remaining must into the fermentation bits at a time over a period of days. It took forever to finish. Only made it that one year.
no avatar
User

Manuel Steiner

Rank

Just got here

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 am

Germany

by Manuel Steiner » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:05 pm

From what I could find out it would appear that the alcohol levels of Amarone and Recioto are not very dependent on the vintage. They might even be more constant than, say, the levels of non-appassimento Valpolicella wines. After all, a decent producer can choose the point at which the dried grapes have the sugar levels necessary for the desired alcoholic strength. In years like 2003, the law prohibiting pressing of the dried grapes before Dec 15 can be changed to make room for earlier processing.
Apart from that legislative hurdle, the concentration levels of Amarone and Recioto are probably easier to fine tune than with grapes straight from the vine.

I've a wordier post on that subject on my blog (I realize plugging it in my first post here is inappropriate and apologize profusely).
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:15 pm

Manuel Steiner wrote:I've a wordier post on that subject on my blog (I realize plugging it in my first post here is inappropriate and apologize profusely).

Manuel, welcome to our forum, and thanks in particular for your sensitivity on this. It speaks well of you. We're glad you joined us and hope you'll stay around!

Now that you've broken the ice, though, let me invite you to tell us the name of your blog and where it's located.
no avatar
User

Manuel Steiner

Rank

Just got here

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:49 am

Germany

by Manuel Steiner » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!
My thoughts on Amarone, Recioto and concentration can be found here.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Manuel Steiner wrote:I've a wordier post on that subject on my blog (I realize plugging it in my first post here is inappropriate and apologize profusely).

Manuel, you're entirely forgiven--thank you so much for digging into this and posting the results of your findings. I just read the "wordier post" on your blog, very interesting. And kind of what I suspected I might hear, that drying the grapes allowed for additional manipulation that would reduce the vintage swings typical in regular table wines. I'm going to see the same friend on Christmas Eve with whom this subject was first raised, I'll be happy to bring up the topic again. He shall no doubt have more amarone in tow.