The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN /Wine Advisor: Sauvignon or Fumé?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN /Wine Advisor: Sauvignon or Fumé?

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Sauvignon or Fumé?

Back in the 1960s, when most Americans didn't know what "Sauvignon" meant and fewer still knew how to pronounce it, Robert Mondavi borrowed a term from the Loire and came up with the moniker "Fumé Blanc" to distinguish his dry, lightly oaked Sauvignon Blanc from the sweeter style that then dominated the domestic market.

The name took off, and before long, there were probably about as many Fumés as Sauvignons on retail shelves. The distinction among styles was quickly lost, so the different names generally didn't represent any consistent pattern of sweet or dry, oaky or unwooded or anything else.

Now, 50 years later, with varietal wine labeling firmly in place and the names "Sauvignon Blanc" and "Cabernet Sauvignon" familiar to just about anyone who knows how to handle a corkscrew, a question occurs: Has the Fumé Blanc label outlived its usefulness?

Certainly with the high profile of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc and the publicity surrounding trophy-level Napa Cabernet Sauvignons, there can't be a wine geek left who doesn't know how to pronounce Sauvignon and what it tastes like.

With no real distinction between Sauvignon and Fumé any more, it could be argued that there's no need for separate labels. But old habits die hard, and I doubt we'll see an end to Fumé Blanc any time soon.

Recently at a local restaurant with a seafood theme, we enjoyed one of the most popular American Fumé Blancs, the 2007 from Sonoma's Ferrari-Carano, a wine made primarily for the restaurant market and all but ubiquitous on wine lists.

As it happens, Ferrari-Carano is one maker that still maintains a consistent distinction between its Fumé Blanc, which is made with just a kiss of oak by keeping 43 percent of the batch in old French oak barrels while the rest resides in neutral stainless steel. The batches are blended just before bottling. Ferrari-Carano Sauvignon Blanc, in contrast, is aged entirely in stainless (and is made from the aromatic Musque clone), creating a wine of considerable different character.

Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc is generally a fine pick when you're enjoying seafood while dining out. Relatively affordably priced - its $17 suggested winery prace translated to $25 to $35 on typical restaurant wine lists - it's fresh and crisp, with a tart shot of acidity that marries with fish like a squirt of lemon.

Ferrari-Carano 2007 Sonoma County Fumé Blanc ($34/restaurant)

Clear light brass color. Delicious citrus and green chile-pepper aromas lead into a zippy acidic flavor that’s perfect with seafood and fish. After a week in the fridge under its sturdy metal screw cap, it's still surprisingly fresh, perhaps with the chile peppers shifting a bit toward green olive but otherwise little changed. A serviceable, food-friendly Sauvignon Blanc often found in restaurant sales. (Nov. 13, 2008)

FOOD MATCH: It went remarkably well with a Peruvian-style rock shrimp seviche, mahi-mahi tacos and sushi-rare ahi tuna at Seviche, a fine local <I>nuevo Latino[/i] restaurant; and the leftovers served equally well a few days later with pan-fried tofu and eggplant with garlic from Red Pepper, a first-rate neighborhood Chinese restaurant.

VALUE: Widely available in restaurants, it's a good buy by wine-list standards in the $25 to $35 range. At retail, expect to pay from $12 to $16 in most markets, at which point it's a fine value; most retailers under-sell the $17 winery price.

WHEN TO DRINK: There's no rush to drink it up, especially now that it's closed with a sturdy screw cap; but freshness is a virtue, and I was delighted to find the 2007 vintage on the list.

WEB LINK:
For a fact sheet on the 2007 Fumé Blanc, see the winery Website:
http://www.ferrari-carano.com/wines/cla ... blanc.aspx

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Find vendors and compare prices for Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc on Wine-Searcher.com:
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/Lafag ... g_site=WLP

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: WTN /Wine Advisor: Sauvignon or Fumé?

by Peter May » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:01 pm

Very intersting thought on whether Fume Blanc is no longer necessary.

I don't see many wines here in the UK so labelled, and if I do I tend to leave them for one labelled Sauvignon Blanc since I prefer my SB unwooded and I assume Fume Blanc will be wooded.

If FB is used to indicate a wooded SB then I think it has use, but if, as you say, it really no longer means anything then....
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Interesting. Did you happen to catch the alcohol percentage on the wine? The 2006 I had clocked in at nearly 14 percent and I found it pretty hot and unpleasant--sounds like things worked out better in 2007 for Ferrari-Carano.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:12 pm

Keith M wrote:Interesting. Did you happen to catch the alcohol percentage on the wine? The 2006 I had clocked in at nearly 14 percent and I found it pretty hot and unpleasant--sounds like things worked out better in 2007 for Ferrari-Carano.

Good question, Keith. The alcohol content was not listed on the label, which normally means it's between 11.0 and 14.0, right? No listing on the Website either.

I can only report that I'm generally sensitive to, and critical of, high alcohols unless they are well integrated, and I didn't find alcohol a problem with this 2007 at all, in either meal setting.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:31 pm

Robin,

The alcohol is listed somewhere. It's legally required. It was probably on the back label, or on a strip (which could have fallen off). Of course the other dodge is to use non-contrasting ink & list it in a colorful area of the label.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:35 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Robin,

The alcohol is listed somewhere. It's legally required. It was probably on the back label, or on a strip (which could have fallen off). Of course the other dodge is to use non-contrasting ink & list it in a colorful area of the label.

Lunch is on so I don't have time to look it up, David, but I'm pretty sure that US law allows the omission of the printed statement if the alcohol content is within 1.5% of 12.5% in either direction. I'll dig around later and see if I can prove this or if I'm just making it up.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Robin,

Saved you the searching. From the TTB website (and this link) a producer can omit the alcohol content if it's between 7 and 14% if they say "table wine" or "light wine" on the label. Were either of those phrases used?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:44 pm

The alcohol is listed somewhere. It's legally required. It .

ABV is not required on a US wines of between 7 and 14% abv iwhen the words Table Wine appears.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:55 pm

Peter May wrote:

ABV is not required on a US wines of between 7 and 14% abv when the words Table Wine appears.

See above, I found the TTB requirements...a rarely used dodge though. And nobody uses "Light Wine."
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Saved you the searching. From the TTB website (and this link) a producer can omit the alcohol content if it's between 7 and 14% if they say "table wine" or "light wine" on the label. Were either of those phrases used?

Interesting contrast with the beer world, where posting alcohol levels was once prohibited, per the beer column in the Washington Post:

Until 1995, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (the agency that used to police alcohol labeling) prohibited any mention of alcohol content on beer labels, fearing that breweries might engage in strength wars, flaunting the potency of their brews. [snip] Coors finally dragged the bureau to the Supreme Court to win the right to post alcohol content.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:38 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Peter May wrote:

ABV is not required on a US wines of between 7 and 14% abv when the words Table Wine appears.

See above, I found the TTB requirements...a rarely used dodge though. And nobody uses "Light Wine."

Not for the wines you drink, but for many small US wineries that make non-vintage wines it is very useful.

By putting 'Table Wine' on the label they can use the same label year after year without having to annually get TTB label approval when abv changes.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:38 pm

Keith M wrote:alcohol percentage on the wine? The 2006 I had clocked in at nearly 14 percent and I found it pretty hot and unpleasant

Aha! Found it, in tiny, almost invisible letters running up the right-hand side of the front label. It's 13.9%, whic certainly qualifies as "nearly 14 percent," but again, I did not find excess alcohol a problem in this wine with the pairings I chose with it.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Has the Fumé Blanc label outlived its usefulness?

If it no longer provides reliable information about what is in the bottle then logically it would seem to be no longer useful.

Of course that hasn't led to the disappearance of other wine label terms, so I'm sure we'll see the persistance of this one too :wink: