The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Steaks from Two Countries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Steaks from Two Countries

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:01 am

Notes from a meat tasting dinner. We had all been asked to bring wines we felt worked well with grilled steaks.

We were having both New York strip and ribeye steaks, one pair local with 36 days aging and one from Flannery’s in the US aged 52 days. A beef tasting! FWIW, the American beef was smoother in texture an more homogeneous, showing fat marbling throughout, while the Canadian beef had a few more voids in the stakes, more localization of the fat, and was generally tastier.

2006 Meyer Family Vineyards Tribute Series Chardonnay (Emily Carr) – a very well balanced chard with oak well in proportion to fruit. Perhaps the best BC chard yet.

2000 Clos de l’Oratoire CNduP – smooth and ready to go, nice dark fruit and spice in the nose, pleasant and with reasonable length, but not a cellar candidate.

1997 Ch. St. Cosme Gigondas – I wanted to pull a cork on this one because we’d had the 1998 at the Friday lunch and enjoyed it very much. This was a clone of the 1998, with dark colour, ravishing Rhone nose, not too hat, with good fruit and good acidity.

1995 Dom. Santa Duc Haut Garrigues – more obviously Grenache, and with a leathery less floral nose, this one was also tasty with good length, but on this night the St. Cosme had the sweeter fruit and was the more attractive (if less classic) wine to the majority.

1996 Brero Poderi Roset Barolo – impressive showing with floral nose with tar and someone suggested a bit of almond paste, still lots of tannin, but very good fruit. No rush on this attractive Barolo.

1999 Inama Badisismo – this cabernet from Veneto was a more international wine that would be very hard to nail in a blind tasting. From a well known Soave producer, the wine had a toasty new world sort of nose, big cab in the mouth and gave no pointers to being Italian – an excellent ringer for that next blind cabernet tasting!

1983 Gould Campbell Port – a great way to finish off, with a Port that ad excellent colour (considerably darker than the 1991 Noval I’d had the day before). Not too hot, with very good length. I know that Parker isn’t the go-to guy on Ports, but I was looking up the Inama anyway to see if there was anything about vinification for that wine, so decided to look at the Port as well. His comment on the 83 is “My experience with this house is limited.… The 1983 is rich, full-bodied, well-colored, and complex.” He then gives it a miserly 82 points. I figured WTF?...until I looked at the 1980 note beside it. “My experience with this house is limited.….. The 1980 is rich, full-bodied, well-colored, and complex.” Uh…rubber stamp reviews, or inattentive proof-reading? I’d suspect the latter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Steaks from Two Countries

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:06 pm

A steak tasting! Great idea. A friend of mine is at a loss for what to do with a 6L bottle of Andrew Will Sorella. I think a steak tasting is a pefect soultion. Have everyone bring different kinds of steak instead of different wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:09 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:A steak tasting! Great idea. A friend of mine is at a loss for what to do with a 6L bottle of Andrew Will Sorella. I think a steak tasting is a pefect soultion. Have everyone bring different kinds of steak instead of different wines.

Bloody brilliant!

Don't worry, no charge for bad puns . . .
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:13 pm

Interesting selection of wines: all southern Rhone except for two Italians. Not a new world Cabernet in the bunch.

You describe the Canadian beef as local but you don't differentiate between procurement vs. raising. I take it, this was actually BC beef? I've had the impression that Canadians generally consider Alberta beef the most premium, but I could well be wrong.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:46 pm

Jenise wrote:Interesting selection of wines: all southern Rhone except for two Italians. Not a new world Cabernet in the bunch.

You describe the Canadian beef as local but you don't differentiate between procurement vs. raising. I take it, this was actually BC beef? I've had the impression that Canadians generally consider Alberta beef the most premium, but I could well be wrong.

Well, the Italian cab was certainly new world in terms of STYLE.....

The beef operation is on in Pitt Meadosw where they raise and sell their beef, and it is probably as good as any I've had in Canada.

Take a look (and you might want to swing by and pick some up if you Yanks aren't still worried about Mad Cow...)

http://www.hopcottmeats.ca/Specialty-Beef.html