The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 03 Meyney and 04 Zagal Malbec

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 03 Meyney and 04 Zagal Malbec

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:01 am

2003 Chateau Meyney St. Estèphe 13.0%
Lovely aromas of blackberry jam, cedar and vanilla, ever so slightly over the top. Tastes of grapes picked on the ripe side of 2003, lush and mouth filling. Drinking very well now. On the second evening, curiously more tannic and muscular, with a brown sugar sweetness. Excellent QPR.

2004 Hacienda del Plata Zagal Malbec 14.0%
In a recent NYT panel on "Argentine malbecs under $25" this was voted best cost ($12)benefit. Almost nothing on the nose - just a touch of eucalyptus - does not prepare the tongue for the torrent of sweet, jammy fruit that meets it, accompanied by parallel vibrant (but not integrated) acidity. A urine sample performed on this wine showed definite traces of steroids, so I revoked the tin medal I was about to award it.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

Re: WTNs: 03 Meyney and 04 Zagal Malbec

by James Dietz » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:50 pm

O, I've pretty much given up on low-end Argentine Malbecs... I mean, if they can't even reach Tin level awards, what's the point?? 8) (my one exception for low end are the Crios from Susana Balbo...great values...).

Thanx for the report on the '03 Meyney. I don't have this in my cellar for some reason, and, as you note, an amazing price for a Bdx from this vintage.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:17 am

James Dietz wrote:O, I've pretty much given up on low-end Argentine Malbecs... I mean, if they can't even reach Tin level awards, what's the point?? 8) (my one exception for low end are the Crios from Susana Balbo...great values...).

Thanx for the report on the '03 Meyney. I don't have this in my cellar for some reason, and, as you note, an amazing price for a Bdx from this vintage.

However, to my great surprise, I was impressed with the basic (and very inexpensive) 06 Terrazas de los Andes Malbec the last two times I tried it, even though it's extremely mass produced. Very nice quaffer. Unlike the reserva and higher-end bottlings from Terrazas, it is not supercharged. And the 03 Nofal Alonso blend that Otto reviewed recently and that I tasted last week is also worth trying.

On the Bordeaux front, though 03 is much maligned, there are, of course, exceptions, and it has the great virtue of drinking well now. Besides the Meyney, other recession busting 03s I've recently finished cases of (and would buy more if I weren't on probation!) include the d'Aiguilhe and the Potensac.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:40 am

Your note on the 2003 Meyney prompted me to go back to my own and I was shocked to see it is already nearly two years since I opened a bottle. I have a couple more in the cellar. I liked it very much as it didn't have the robust tannins that you can find in this vintage, although as you say it is a wine for drinking sooner rather than later I think. A rather ripe style with low acidity.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

d'Aiguilhe

by James Dietz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Owaldo, I agree on the d'Aiguilhe. Another great QPR
Cheers, Jim