The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Santa Barbara Salice Salentino Rosso 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Santa Barbara Salice Salentino Rosso 2005

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Cooperative Agr. Santa Barbara

A blend of Negroamaro and Malvasia

Smoky, leather and bitter notes on the nose.

Tangy, tart and stewed cherry and cranberry, leather, bright, medium weight, drying, quite bitter, with a real edge.

Drying and bitter on the rather short finish.

The strong bitterness made this a rather unimpressive wine.

Purchased at $14.95 (Canadian).
Last edited by Bruce Hayes on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Mike Jacobs

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:17 am

Re: WTN: Santa Barbara Salice Salentino Rosso 2005

by Mike Jacobs » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:15 am

Who is the producer?
http://the-wine-rack.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:29 am

Mike Jacobs wrote:Who is the producer?

Cooperative Agr. Santa Barbara.

Sorry, should have included that info in the original note. Have edited my posting to include this.

The wine has shown up in Ontario a few times and I recall it being much nicer in previous vintages.
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:49 am

Bruce,

Unfortunately that bitter aspect that is prevalent in this wine is one of the facets of the grape Negroamaro (the name itself means Bitter Black Man; not PC, I know). This is why it is often blend with Malavasia Nero that lends a certain sweetness/fruitiness that balances the bitterness. Sounds like they didn't get it quite right this time.

FWIW Chris RIngland makes a Negroamaro in Puglia under the La Forte label. Worth seeking out.

Cheers,

Nayan
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 am

NayanGowda wrote:Bruce,

Unfortunately that bitter aspect that is prevalent in this wine is one of the facets of the grape Negroamaro (the name itself means Bitter Black Man; not PC, I know). This is why it is often blend with Malavasia Nero that lends a certain sweetness/fruitiness that balances the bitterness. Sounds like they didn't get it quite right this time.

FWIW Chris RIngland makes a Negroamaro in Puglia under the La Forte label. Worth seeking out.

Cheers,

Nayan

Thank you very much for the info Nayan. Quite interesting. I drink Negroamaro quite often (for some reason the grape seems to be quite popular here in Ontario) and while I enjoy a nice bitter bite in my wine (Valpolicella, for example) as much as the next person, I just found this wine to be out of balance.
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:22 am

More than welcome Bruce.

And with apologies to Chris Ringland, his label is La Corte not La Forte (bloody Hungarian keyboards throwing out my touch typing... :twisted: )
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:43 pm

What a shame that this wasn't good. I absolutely adore this co-op's Barbaglio - a blend of Negroamaro and Primitivo. If that's available, don't be afraid to try that in the years '00-'02.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:06 pm

Cheers,

Nayan

Nayan,

I think you'll find that 'bitter black' refers to the grape (what we call a red grape in english), not the man.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:40 pm

Oliver McCrum wrote:

Cheers,

Nayan

Nayan,

I think you'll find that 'bitter black' refers to the grape (what we call a red grape in english), not the man.

Oliver, I think you need to read my post again. I was referring to the grape; which part of what I said makes you think I wasn't?
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:00 pm

NayanGowda wrote:Negroamaro (the name itself means Bitter Black Man; not PC, I know).

Nayan--
Oliver can speak for himself, but I reacted the same way he did to the above. You may speak Italian better than I do, but I believe the primary definition of "negro" in Italian is "black," not "black person." (And "amaro" is, as you know, "bitter.")
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:
NayanGowda wrote:Negroamaro (the name itself means Bitter Black Man; not PC, I know).

Nayan--
Oliver can speak for himself, but I reacted the same way he did to the above. You may speak Italian better than I do, but I believe the primary definition of "negro" in Italian is "black," not "black person." (And "amaro" is, as you know, "bitter.")

Actually you are incorrect Clinton. The Italian for black (the colour) is "Nero".

I think you both need to chill a bit.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm

NayanGowda wrote:
Clinton Macsherry wrote:

Nayan--

Actually you are incorrect Clinton. The Italian for black (the colour) is "Nero".

Names often preserve etymologically older forms than the current usage. Latin for black was negro, but modern Italian nero. But the grape is also called nero amaro. This name just preserves an older form of the word black. I very much doubt it contains a reference to black men. Interestingly black in Greek is "maru" and since this part of Italy saw much Greek influence, I have seen an alternative etymology to the grape name where also the latter half means black, as in a black, black (very black) grape. It might seem a bit far fetched, though, so I would like to see a bit more evidence for this alternative.

-Otto
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

NayanGowda

Rank

Wine geek

Szekszard, Hungary

by NayanGowda » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:38 pm

Thanks Otto. The voice of reason on all things language based, as usual.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:16 pm

NayanGowda wrote:Actually you are incorrect Clinton. The Italian for black (the colour) is "Nero".

Thanks, Nayan. I'm well aware that "nero" is the more common word for black, even with wine, as in Pinot Nero. I'll stand by my post. I wouldn't have said it in the first place had I not consulted a dictionary to be sure. No need to mistake this for being "unchilled."
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !