The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Hauts de la Brune Cotes du Languedoc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: 2005 Hauts de la Brune Cotes du Languedoc

by wrcstl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:10 pm

The comment on rustic reds got me thinking about this wine that I opened up last night. There was a lot of reasons for my interest in this wine and opening a bottle last night, '05, 80% Syrah, bought at $12.99 and it is now being dumped at $9.99. As I stated on a previous thread think we are going to see a lot of discounts soon and even more after the holidays.

The thing most remembered is TANNINS. This was not a friendly wine, very hard and tannic. There was dark fruit under the tannins and it was a very full bodied wine. I put 1/2 in a 375 and corked it for next week. I left about 5 oz in the 750 bottle and will try it tonight again. I really wanted to like this wine but it just didn't seem to sing at all. It may bloom into a really nice drink in 3-5 years but as an old guy in the Bordeaux Society once told me "if you don't like the wine when you first try it young, you will never like the wine". I have always followed that rule as many wines get better and evolve with age but when first tasted if they are not of interest I never buy them. I have now saved $9.99 per bottle for some other great find.

Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Hauts de la Brune Cotes du Languedoc

by David M. Bueker » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:49 pm

At least it was a cheap experiment.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:08 pm

I bought a couple few months ago. The first, although it didn't thrill me, wasn't too bad. But, I will wait to see the result of your experiment before approaching the remaining one.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:56 pm

Shaji M wrote:I bought a couple few months ago. The first, although it didn't thrill me, wasn't too bad. But, I will wait to see the result of your experiment before approaching the remaining one.

I had left about 7 oz in a 750 bottle overnight with a cork in. Tried it again and it was quite a bit better. The harsh tannins had settled down and some fruit showed up. Still a big wine but much improved. May indicate a wine that justs needs a few more years to come around. There is really no reason this should not have been a good wine, just needs time. I am going to open the 375 next week and will report. Not sure I am going to buy more but plan on letting the 2 remaining bottles in my cellar sit for at least 3+ more years.
Walt