The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

South Africa - Platter 2009 5 STAR wines just announced

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

South Africa - Platter 2009 5 STAR wines just announced

by Peter May » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:29 pm

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: South Africa - Platter 2009 5 STAR wines just announced

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:24 pm

I used to buy this guide but non-existant availability of most wines resulted in my lack of interest! Things have not improved over/up here.
Will look up the Pinotage references!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:38 pm

Bob, to make full use of the Guide you should take it with you to the Cape :)
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:45 pm

Thank you for sharing that Peter. I've been quite interested in trying some more Cape wines, but really didn't have much idea where to start besides the couple of producers I know reasonably well and trust (Meerlust and Ken Forrester).

I am a little surprised though that the Meerlust Rubicon blend hasn't been mentioned. From the occasions when I've had it, it's been outstanding and remarkably consistent - in my book a match for a lot of top Bordeaux.

I was also curious if you have any experience with the 'Anwilka' blend, which I also noticed was absent from the list. I've heard more praise/hype for that one wine in the US than most others from RSA, and have a couple of bottles of the 05 that I'm thinking of trying some time soon.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi Salil

Please bear in mind that the 5 Star award is very rare. Out of 6,400 wines rated in the Platter Guide only 33 got 5 stars. (3 ofthose were fortified)

And those wines have to get the unanimous support in a blind tasting by all the Platter tasting team who nominate their candidates (85 this year) So it really is an achievement to get 5 stars.

Meerlust Rubicon usually weighs in at 4.5 stars

I've not come across Anwilka myself. Their first vintage was the 2005 which got 4.5 Platter stars as did the 06 (Their 2nd label Ugaba 2006 got a terrible review on the UK forum FWIW)

4.5 Platter stars is 'Outstanding', 5 stars is 'Superlative, a Cape Classic'. I suppose you could maybe equate Platter 5 Stars with Parker 100 points...
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:49 am

I've always liked Platter and brought his guide(s) when I visited SA. But I agree, the lack of availability of the wines in my neck of the woods keeps me from reading him regularly.

Thanks for the link, I'll have to keep my eye out for the Kanonkop in particular in case it shows up around here.