The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Basalt vs. Limestone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Basalt vs. Limestone

by Martin Barz » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:08 pm

http://www.snakvin.com/foto/albums/user ... MG8905.JPG

On Monday Albert Kierdorf and Frank Kämmer MS presented in the Hotel Palace "Basalt vs. Limestone" or Forster Pechstein vs. Chassagne Montrachet Caillerets. Presented were Dr. Bürklin-Wolf , Forster Pechstein GC und Amiot Guy et Fils, Chassagne Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets with the vintages 2001-2006.

Chapeau, it was a gorgeous event. Not only due to the wines, but Frank Kämmer gave us an lecture with esprit about the winemakers, soils, history and vintages

“The 'Pechstein' derives its name from the high percentage of basalt (black volcanic earth) in the soils. Formerly an active volcano, the 'Pechsteinkopf', situated above the village of Forst, dispersed huge amounts of volcanic earth millions of years ago. In the bottom layers of this site are basalt veins, with single basalt stones found on its surface as well.”

06 Pechstein vs. 06 Les Caillerets

Extremly opulent Riesling and reminds me more on an austrian Smaragd. No surprise, as the vintage was extremly difficult in the region Pfalz due to the heavy rain in september and as a result rottenness.
Very ripe aromatic of caramelized pineapple and dried apricots. I have to confess it is not my style or taste of Riesling.
88/100

The chardonnay was very charming with a lovely perfume.........vanilla cookies, hazelnut and butter. Early drinkable and for this reason very restaurant-friendly. Offers a lot of drinking-pleasure. YUM, YUM
91/100

05 Pechstein vs. 05 Les Caillerets

http://www.snakvin.com/foto/albums/user ... MG8909.JPG
A masterpiece! “A distinctive smoky-spicy note by the basalt is added to the fruit-play”, in addition a racy acidity, finesse and an exemplary length and depth. Of course much more slim and filigree in comparison to the 06 version. The wine has a great future. In general the Rieslings from the parcel “Pechstein” are late bloomer due to the basalt soil and show their potential first after a few years of maturing. Finally, here we have the first bio-dyn vintage, as in 2005 the bio-dyn change was completed. For Mr. Kämmer is bio-dyn the continuation of the TERROIR idea.
93-94/100

http://www.snakvin.com/foto/albums/user ... MG8910.JPG

Terrific, as expected from this outstanding vintage. The wine shows the density&richness of the vintage 2003 and the freshness&finesse of the vintage 2004.
Butter, nougat, hazelnut and a breathtaking minerality. What a depth!
94/100

04 Pechstein vs. 04 Les Caillerets

Wonderful minerality in the bouquet. On the palate very fresh and balanced connected with a seductive fruit. Fruit and minerality is filigree interwoven.
91/100

Shows also a fine freshness and minerality. Surprisingly the stilistic comes close to the Pechstein Riesling. Offers a lot of drinking pleasure
and is therefore perfect for restaurants.
90/100

03 Pechstein vs. 03 Les Caillerets

A bomb! No structure and finesse. No, not my favourite style of Riesling. Clearly a victim of the hot vintage.

Also disappointing. Nothing fits together. No balance. It seems I will never become a fan of the vintage 2003.

02 Pechstein vs. 02 Les Caillerets

Distinctive botrytis note in the nose. Very ripe,lush fruit. A fine balance between fruit & minerality & acidity, BUT I miss complexity. Maybe I am a bit unfair with my score?!
90/100

off-bottle!

01 Pechstein vs. 01 Les Caillerets

Subtle Riesling! Fine, light, straightforward and with a good acidity. Quite young appearance and underlines the fact that dry Riesling could age very well, especially from the parcel Pechstein.
90-91/100

Great. I really enjoyed this `01 with its smoky minerality or flavor of burned match. Also some floral elements of dried flowers. What a great flint minerality!
92-93/100
http://berlinkitchen.com