The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Prosecco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

C Hooker

Rank

Just got here

Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:59 pm

Prosecco

by C Hooker » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:00 pm

We recently enjoyed a NV Prosecco brut, later bought a half-case to stash for Thanksgiving and just discovered that despite an nearly identical label we didn’t get the same bubbly. Buyer error, of course—what we have now is a NV Pinot Grigio brut. Had to sample and it’s not bad if only slightly less dry.

In reading a bit, some Prosecco apparently may use a little Pino Grigio but I can’t find a good discussion on 100% Prosecco vs. Pinot Grigio sparklers.

Thanks,
Chuck
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Prosecco

by Ian Sutton » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:32 pm

Chuck
I'll not be much use on the question, but can offer a hearty WELCOME!

My understanding is that Prosecco is the grape - if it's Prosecco di Conegliano-Valdobbiadene DOC, then I suspect addition of Pinot Grigio would not be allowed by the DOC rules. For a straight Prosecco NV, there may be leeway for (say) up to 10% other grapes. I know this occurs in Australia, but I'm not sure of this aspect of Italian Wine Law (& EU law).

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:06 pm

I am a great fan of Prosecco and we always have a bottle at lunchtime when we're in Italy.

Prosecco is the name of a grape variety and its also the name used for a sparkling wine made all or primarily from the Prosecco grape.

There are two styles of sparkling, fully sparkling and frizzante which is less sparkling.

Prosecco fizz is not made by the champagne method, rather it is tank fermented under pressure.

Because anyone who makes a wine from Prosecco grapes can call their wine Prosecco even if it is still the serious makers of the fizz want to get some legal protection and in the finest area of Conegliano Valdobbiadene they enforce them for the DOC. Up to 15% of other varieties can be used in Conegliano Valdobbiadene DOC, but they are Verdiso, Perera and Bianchetta, not names I've come across.

I wentto a tasting organised by the Consorzio Conegliano Valdobbiadene and was very impressed by their wines & would suggest looking for the name on bottles of Prosecco.

Regarding a discussion between Pinot Grigio and Prosecco sparklers -- well there is little thatcan be said. They are different varieties and so will taste differently, but we don't know where the Pinot Grigio came from or how it got its fizz...

Have a look at http://www.prosecco.it/
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:53 pm

I don't believe that Pinot Grigio Spumante is traditional, but an attempt to capitalise on the success of Pinot Grigio (at least in the US), and the success of Prosecco.

IMO Pinot Grigio lacks the aromatic interest that makes good Prosecco so delicious, but then again I don't like any form of PG much, it's a bit mealy for my taste.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines