The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

It's that time of year again . . . .

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

It's that time of year again . . . .

by Ryan M » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:50 pm

I just got an email announcing the start of the Wine Spectator Top 10 countdown for 2008. #9 and #10 were announced today: #10. Seghesio Zinfandel Sonoma County 2007 (93 pt, $24), and #9. Molly Dooker Shiraz Carnival of Love McLaren Vale 2007 (95 pt, $90).

I'm not going to reflect on the wines, neither of which I've tried (and probably won't get to now . . . .), but rather to note (1) how the hell did it get to be November already!?!, and (2) I guess this means we can expect nothing but plonk to be released in the nearly two months between now and the end of the year . . . . ?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: It's that time of year again . . . .

by Daniel Rogov » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:57 pm

I always smile when the Wine Spectator releases its 10 best of the year list in November, wondering of course whether they simply do not taste wines in November and December. As to my comments on the wine choices, let's hold until the full list is posted.

As to my own lists - to be posted on either 31 December or 1 January.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:53 pm

There was a time, a while ago, when I cared about the WS list. :roll:
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Lists such as these, regardless of source, are rubbish unless you factor in the circulation impact.
Cheerio,
Bill Paumen
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:There was a time, a while ago, when I cared about the WS list. :roll:

I think it was 1989...
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:59 pm

You can all make fun but after that list comes out there will be dozens of people coming into our store with that damn thing in their hand. We just smile and do the best we can. There are unfortunately many people who regard selections from WS to have been handed down by God, directly from heaven. :roll: :evil:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:20 pm

Just hope that one of your favorite wines is not on the list. Why? Because the price will double ASAP. When Thomas ran his wine store in NYC a few years ago, a wonderful Gigondas that he carried made the list. A week later he couldn't get any more for his store.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:12 am

Don't get me wrong folks - I don't put a whole lot of stock in the WS list - I always enjoy getting to taste wines I know are on the list, but mostly just out of curiosity, to see what sorts of wines made the mysterious cut. As I implied in my first post, the impact of the list is mostly negative for us true wine lovers, as the wines quickly become unavailable and/or unaffordable to those of us who actually enjoy and appreciate the wines, rather than just the points and press attached to them. On the other hand, like the points system, such list have some useful value if you know have to use them intelligently.

More than anything, I was simply reflecting on the passage of time, on the annual rituals of the wine world, and above all the ephemeral nature of it all.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:16 am

Ryan-
I think we all understood the intent of your post. Sometimes we just like to rant a bit. :D
Bill
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:20 am

Rant? Us? Nah. :twisted:

But what goes up must come down (normally). Remember when Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepages was #1 and the price tripled in a year? Well it's now back down almost to where it started.

The most use I ever got out of the Top 10 was a couple of years ago when Casanova de Neri Brunello was #1. I had two bottles in my cellar. I donated them to charity. I'm sure the #1 tag spurred some bidding (I wasn't there for the event, so I don't know how it turned out).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:12 am

Chances are that an '05 Bordeaux won this year. Realistically, given that prices for '05 Bdx were ridiculously high to begin with and have been dropping 20 to 30% or more from their post-bottle score highs in light of economic conditions, I don't necessarily think WOTY will have the same impact on prices that it has had in past years.

PS - I think it's entertaining to try and figure out the wines, but other than that, I think the whole ranking think is bunk simply designed to generate circulation.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:29 am

Sorry folks if I misinterpreted the tone of your posts. Anyway, today's installment:
#7. Pontet-Canet 2005 (96 pts, $100)
#8. Beaucastel C-d-P 2005 (96 pts, $95)

My only observation is: where-oh-where can you get the 05 Pontet-Canet for $100? Lowest price via winezap is $110. But, it's nice to see P-C getting good press, as they really have become a star in Pauillac. Almost exactly a year ago I had the 1997 - a tremendously underrated wine, with perhaps another decade left in it. Pity it's price went up - I might have gotten another bottle. We snagged it for $30 in summer 2007. It goes for $50 - $60 now. Beaucastel's still on my to do list, although I have a friend who has the '83, which I will probably get to taste eventually.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:36 am

... just as long as they don't put Selbach-Oster or any of my other favourite Riesling producers in that top list.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:41 am

Salil Benegal wrote:... just as long as they don't put Selbach-Oster or any of my other favourite Riesling producers in that top list.

The day that a Pepiere or Luneau-Papin Muscadet, or a Brun Beaujolais, makes that list is the day that I dread.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:The day that a Pepiere or Luneau-Papin Muscadet, or a Brun Beaujolais, makes that list is the day that I dread.
Mark Lipton

Mark-
I think you are pretty safe on those. :wink:
Redwinger
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 am

Just for the sake of completeness, here's the roundup of #2 - 10:

2. Rauzan-Segla Margaux 2005 (97 pts, $100)
3. Quinta do Crasto Douro Reserva Old Vines 2005 (95 pts, $40)
4. Guiraud Sauternes 2005 (97 pts, $57)
5. Vieux Telegraph C-d-P La Crau 2005 (95 pts, $55)
6. Pio Cesare Barolo 2004 (94 pts, $62)
7. Pontet-Canet Pauillac 2005 (96 pts, $100)
8. Beaucastel C-d-P 2005 (96 pts, $95)
9. Molly Dooker Shiraz Carnival of Love McLaren Vale 2007 (95 pts, $90)
10. Seghesio Zinfandel Sonoma County 2007 (93 pts, $24)

I've had Crasto's LBV before - lovely stuff. I like Douro reds and would love to try this one (but probably won't ever get to now - thanks WS :evil:). Rauzan-Segla has been on quite the upswing - weren't they an under performer for many years? Interesting to note that when Jefferson visited Bordeaux in the 1780s, he noted Rauzan-Segla as the best after the modern First Growths, and ahead of Mouton.
Galileo Galilei

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:24 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:Just for the sake of completeness, here's the roundup of #2 - 10:

5. Vieux Telegraph C-d-P La Crau 2005 (95 pts, $55)
6. Pio Cesare Barolo 2004 (94 pts, $62)
7. Pontet-Canet Pauillac 2005 (96 pts, $100)
8. Beaucastel C-d-P 2005 (96 pts, $95)

*whew* You gave me a fright for a moment until I remembered that I'd already purchased the '05 Beaucastel and VT. I'm sure that they will both now triple in price and become scarcer than hen's teeth on the open market.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:40 pm

Crasto? I have been buying (past 3 yrs) everything that shows up on the shelf downtown so am a happy camper!
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Well, Chile gets the top spot this year:

#1. Casa Lapostolle Clos Apalta Colchagua Valley 2005 (96 pts, $75)

So there you have it folks, and don't bother to by any new releases for the rest of 2008, because they'll all be plonk! ;)
Galileo Galilei