The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Preferences...Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Preferences...Bordeaux

by Mark S » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:56 am

I'm glad Bordeaux is only a part of my cellar, since I find it goes best with lamb, and nearly lamb only. Yesterday I had some chuck eye steak with a bottle of 2000 Clos du Marquis.
Yes, the wine is still too young, but even moreso, it didn't really go with the meat! I would have preferred a red Burgundy, or Brunello or Chianti over a Bordeaux. Surprise surprise.

Anyone else have combinations where something should have worked according to popular lore, but for some reason didn't? And do you have preferences that seem 'unshakeable' to you?
Last edited by Mark S on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Preferences...Bordeaux

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:05 pm

Mark S wrote:...Anyone else have combinations where something should have worked according to popular lore, but for some reason didn't? And do you have preferences that seem 'unshakeable' to you?
Actually, just the opposite. I have a favorite pairing that many others would cringe at. I make a home made Steuben Rosé (there are some commercial versions in the local marketplace) that I like to serve with Thanksgiving dinner. It's a labrusca hybrid with a bit of that labrusca foxy grapiness and is off-dry. It's not so much a turkey match as it is a dinner match - stuffing, gravy, potatoes, squash, turkey, cranberry sauce, etc. Generally, labruscas are not considered food friendly, but this works for me.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:07 pm

Mark S wrote:I'm glad Bordeaux is only a part of my cellar, since I find it goes best with lamb, and nearly lamb only. Yesterday I had some chuck eye steak with a bottle of 200 Clos du Marquis.
Yes, the wine is still too young, but even moreso, it didn't really go with the meat! I would have preferred a red Burgundy, or Brunello or Chianti over a Bordeaux. Surprise surprise.

Anyone else have combinations where something should have worked according to popular lore, but for some reason didn't? And do you have preferences that seem 'unshakeable' to you?

Mark,
I wonder if the Bordeaux with beef combination isn't overstated? Mature Bordeaux certainly is far too nuanced to pair well with most preparations of beef (maybe pot au feu would work, I dunno). Certainly, at 1808 years of age, your Bordeaux would have been better served with roast chicken :P More generally, I like lamb and goose with Bordeaux. Beef to me calls more for Syrah, New Worldish Cabernet or Nebbiolo. One "legendary" pairing that I don't much care for is foie gras with Sauternes, but purists like Ian Hoare have suggested that Monbazillac is more the classic pairing. Two pairings that seems unshakable to me are venison with N. Rhône Syrah and squab with the more meaty Côte d'Or reds.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:12 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Certainly, at 1808 years of age,...

Woops! Your keen eye has been editing too many scientific articles, sir!
(corrected)
no avatar
User

Steve Guattery

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:36 am

Central Pennsylvania

by Steve Guattery » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Beef to me calls more for Syrah, New Worldish Cabernet or Nebbiolo.

Can't disagree with your choices, but I also like beef (at least fairly plain preparations) with red Burgundy or Chianti.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:23 pm

I like rare beef and lamb but two other categories work very well:

1. birds (duck, quail, pheasant, etc.)
2. cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano, well aged Gouda, etc)

I've been told that the flag of the town of Pauillac has a lamb on it. Lamb came before wine in Pauillac and was far more important to the economy. The wine was made to compliment the lamb (not the other way around!). Can anyone confirm this story?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:...I've been told that the flag of the town of Pauillac has a lamb on it. Lamb came before wine in Pauillac and was far more important to the economy. The wine was made to compliment the lamb (not the other way around!). Can anyone confirm this story?
Tom T.
Sounds like the tee shirt I saw in a winery in the Finger Lakes - "God created fish to go with Riesling".
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Steve Guattery wrote:Can't disagree with your choices, but I also like beef (at least fairly plain preparations) with red Burgundy or Chianti.

It's funny how preferences certainly vary. I can not drink a California Cab alone or with anything but beef; but with beef, I think it is fantastic; no other wine comes close.