The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Assmanshausen and Kloster Eberbach Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Assmanshausen and Kloster Eberbach Pinot Noir

by Jay Labrador » Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:33 pm

Notes on some German Pinot Noir samples with dinner at Lemuria.

Domane Assmanshausen Assmanshauser Hollenberg Spatburgunder Trocken 2007 - Nice nose. 13.5% alcohol but it doesn't show. Light, juicy, good balance. Rather soft tannins but decent acidity provides some structure. Hint of smoke and red berries. Good fruit. Beaujolais-like. Watery finish. Decent wine but not too interesting.

Domane Assmanshausen Assmanshauser Hollenberg Spatburgunder 2007 - The difference between this and the previous wine is that this one isn't trocken, and it shows. Slight prickle on the tongue. Hint of earth. A more-ish version of the trocken. The fruit seems a lot riper too. Still, generally light and juicy. Good wine.

Kloster Eberbach R Pinot Noir 2004 - Deep color. Rich mouthfeel. Impressive 15% alcohol but the wine doesn't show it. Good balance. Spicy, sweet fruit. Bittersweet chocolate and a little smoke. Moderate length. The ripe fruit and richness give it a distinctly modern feel. Soft and ready although it could probably last a few more years. It seems at peak now. Very good and one of the better Pinot Noirs I've tried from Germany (not that I've had a lot) but I'm told this is also quite expensive.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.