The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Domaine de l'Espigouette CdR V.V

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2005 Domaine de l'Espigouette CdR V.V

by Redwinger » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:54 am

2005 Domaine de l'Espigouette CdR V.V

This is a blend of 70% Grenache, 10% Syrah, 20% Mourvedre from 45+ year old vines.

Popped and poured. Deep red color. Red fruit flavor profile with some earthy/leathery notes emerging after 45 minutes. On the lighter side of medium bodied. Nicely balanced. There is a bit of rusticity (whatever that really means), but for some reason I expected a bit more 'yard. The absolute best part of this wine is the pepper/spice on steroids finish...it just went on and on. I'm no expert on this Domaine, but I strongly suspect this wine will pick up heft and complexity from the Mourvedre component with a few years in Ye Olde Dungeon.

There is a tad left that I will sip later today and will report back if there are any changes on day 2.

Oh yeah, one other thing I really liked about this was the sale price of $9.99...back for more tomorrow.

Imported by J et R Selection, Lansing, MI

Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: WTN: 2005 Domaine de l'Espigouette CdR V.V

by Mark Lipton » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:45 pm

Redwinger wrote:2005 Domaine de l'Espigouette CdR V.V

Popped and poured. Deep red color. Red fruit flavor profile with some earthy/leathery notes emerging after 45 minutes. On the lighter side of medium bodied. Nicely balanced. There is a bit of rusticity (whatever that really means), but for some reason I expected a bit more 'yard. The absolute best part of this wine is the pepper/spice on steroids finish...it just went on and on. I'm no expert on this Domaine, but I strongly suspect this wine will pick up heft and complexity from the Mourvedre component with a few years in Ye Olde Dungeon.

Thanks for the note, Bill. Yes, those wines do usually gain something with 5 or so years in the cellar. I've recently finished my '00 but still have some '01 and '04 in the Batcave.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 pm

Redwinger wrote:Imported by J et R Selection, Lansing, MI Redwinger

WInger, J et R is another of those importers that it is impossible to dismiss> I buy them when I find them either here or in August when I go to Mo'Cool. J et R is an Ann Arbor company.
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:00 am

Bob Henrick wrote:
Redwinger wrote:Imported by J et R Selection, Lansing, MI Redwinger

WInger, J et R is another of those importers that it is impossible to dismiss> I but tem when I find them either here or in Auagust when I go to Mo'Cool. J et R is an Ann Arbor company.

Bob,
We get a fair amount of J et R wines here in Indy. Their Rep is from Indy so I suspect that is one of the reasons we see a lot of their wines. I find them to be a fairly reliable Rhone importer with Pegau, Boursan, Vieux Chene among many others in their portfolio.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!