The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Nofal Alonso (Vale de Uco, Mendoza)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2003 Nofal Alonso (Vale de Uco, Mendoza)

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:24 am

2003 Nofal Alonso Vale de Uco Mendoza 13.2% US price US$20/Brazil price US$24
Otto liked this wine the other day and his description made me curious. A blend of Malbec (60%) Cabernet Sauvignon (35%) and Tempranillo (5%). Attractive aromas of cherry, sous bois and some tar. Complex and flavorful, with sour cherry and pine resin flavors, a touch of funk, and good acidity. Very different from other Argentine wines I've tasted, with a very particular personality, more European and less new world. The judicious alcohol helps, and suggests that the grapes were picked at the old-fashioned level of ripeness. Only a certain lightness in the mid-palate prevented this from being truly satisfying, but Marcia and I finished the entire bottle (rare) while watching an excellent Argentine movie, Juan José Campanella's Luna de Avellaneda (like food, wine tastes better with movies from the same terroir :wink: ).

It helps that it is inexpensive and, unusually, did not cost a mutiple of the US price.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: 2003 Nofal Alonso (Vale de Uco, Mendoza)

by Mark S » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:56 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:2003 Nofal Alonso Vale de Uco Mendoza 13.2% US price US$20/Brazil price US$24

Funny how it costs more to drive a few hundred miles by truck than thousands by ocean ship.
Thanks for the note tho. This actually sounds intriguing. I haven't touched an Argentine wine in about 10 years due to their New World hyper-model. Have to look for it.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Only a certain lightness in the mid-palate prevented this from being truly satisfying, but Marcia and I finished the entire bottle (rare) [...]

I found the lightness to be very moreish rather than dilute: the wine forced me to take another sip. I'm happy you also enjoyed it. I wish more like this was made in the New World...
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Alejandro Audisio

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:03 am

Buenos Aires, Argentina

by Alejandro Audisio » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:00 pm

For those that like this style... this producer makes an entry level wine called Tunquelen.... very good QPR.
Alejandro Audisio - drink wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes!!!
ITB in Buenos Aires, Argentina
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:32 pm

Alejandro Audisio wrote:For those that like this style... this producer makes an entry level wine called Tunquelen.... very good QPR.

Alejandro, you might have missed my notes, but here I tasted the Tempranillo and Malbec Tunquelen and didn't find them to be all that great. The Sta Ercilia and especially this Alonso I found to be very enjoyable.

Am I reading too much in between the lines, but do you not enjoy this style?

-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.