The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1996 Baudrys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: 1996 Baudrys

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:05 am

1996 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux
Backwards backwards backwards. Smells great, dodging between deep dark roasted expresso beans, juicy floral tomatoes, and firm perky berries. That said, the screeching acidity never leaves the palate and reminds you that this needs to remain asleep and undisturbed for several years. On the positive side, while always a touch painful, with air the fierce acidity is joined by lovely clear cold stoney pure fruit that rings my bells, and makes me happy. I like this wine.

1996 Bernard Baudry Chinon La Croix Boissée
A fun plump juicy wine on its way to aging. Jay Miller recently posted that this was drinking well and showing its glory although with acid and tannin still a bit prominent, but perhaps my context is out-of-whack because in comparison to the Grézeaux the acid here is nowhere near as screechy, and not at all out of balance. Not the intellectual composure of the Grézeaux, but fun stuff.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: 1996 Baudrys

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:38 pm

Chinon has yet to seriously hit my radar map. But after reading so many wonderful posts both here and on Therapy, it's time I stocked up on some Baudry, Raffault and Breton (at least).