The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Novy '05 Syrahs...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Novy '05 Syrahs...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:57 pm

We tasted last week (10/8/08) all (I think) of the '05 Novy Syrahs:
1. Novy Grenache JudgeFamilyVnyd/BennettVlly (14.1%; 234 cs) 2005: Med.dark color; rather
strong toasty/oak bright/zippy/Grenache/strawberry bit alcoholic nose; tart bright
strawberry/Grenache some toasty/charred/oak flavor; med.long tart bright/strawberry/
Grenache finish w/ light tannins; a fair amount of oak but lots of pretty/bright/vibrant
Grenache fruit underneath; very pretty/drinkable Grenache. $21.00
the simple side but pleasant and a very good price. $19.00
pepper/blackberry/Syrah light toasty finish; lovely Syrah w/ nice low-key cracked black
pepper character; very good Syrah for the price. $21.50
licorice/blueberry/Syrah w/ light tannins; slight herbal character speaks of SLH; a very
attractive Syrah at a great price. $21.50
Syrah/briary finish; needs several yrs; a sort of 4-Square/blocky kind of Syrah w/ not
a lot of distinguishing character. Good value at $26.00
Syrah flavor; med.long tart light cracked black pepper spicy/briary/blackberry/Syrah
finish w/ some tannins; needs several yrs; one of the best DCV Syrahs I've had and shows
some cold-climate/black pepper character. Great price. $23.50
bit tannic very perfumed/aromatic cracked black pepper blackberry/Syrah/spicy finish; needs
several yrs yet; a lovely/elegant very perfumed Syrah at a great price. $22.00
Siduri Pinot-like flavor; long bit tannic/hard perfumed/black cherry/Syrah rather smokey/
toasty/oak/pencilly finish; needs several yrs yet; lots of aromatics and very structured;
tastes like a Syrah made by a Siduri Pinot producer. Excellent Syrah at a great price.
$23.50
blackberry/Syrah flavor; very long charred/smokey/oak Rhonish/roasted strong herbal/Syrah/
blackberry some tannic complex finish; tastes like a Novy Syrah made by Pax Mahle; terrific
very Rhonish Syrah; my favorite of the lot at a terrific price. $25.00
very long perfumed/aromatic boysenberry/herbal/Syrah/chocolaty finish w/ modest tannins;
shows that SLH herbal character; huge fruit almost Oz/ChesterOsborne in style.
green walnut/herbal/green olive lush blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah light toasty/oak finish
w/ some tannins; seems less ripe than the other three SLH; complex interesting Syrah w/
lots of SLH/herbal character; great price at $25.50
like flavor; very long somewhat tannic light herbal strong boysenberry/blueberry/Syrah
some cedary/oak complex finish; needs some age; very interesting Syrah at a great price.
$26.00
of development and probably going nowhere from here; Costigan mystery.
ripe pineapply/canned peaches overripe finish; lots of very ripe/overripe character;
a Pillsbury DoughBoy kind of dessert wine. $14.00/hlf
really great, the Lagier-Meredith easily being my favorite, closely followed by the Rocca.
Many taste like Syrahs made by a Cabernet producer; tarted up w/ a lot of new/toasty Fr.oak.
Those that are not, just seem to be a bit on the simple side...pleasant blackberry fruit,
but not a whole lot of interest. That was true of Adam's Napa Syrahs here. Not bad Syrahs,
but nothing in them really resonated with me.
OTOH, I find many of the DryCreekVlly Syrahs a bit more interesting, but they often
show a lot of that spicy Zinberry character and remind me more of (good) Zin than they
do of Syrah. There are exceptions, of course. And this SimpsonVnyd Syrah was one such.
It's (and the Carlisles) one of the best DCV Syrahs I've had.
This was as impressive a Syrah tasting as we've had in some time. The Syrahs were all
very distinctive in character. I think Adam's Syrahs are every bit the equal of his Pinots.
And very reasonably priced. His Syrahs have a distinctive perfumed/aromatic character,
maybe from his Pinot background..I don't know. But I don't think Adam gets the recognition
in Calif for the Syrahs he makes, which I think are pretty much the equal of anybody's.
Tom
no avatar
User

Leanne S

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Sonoma County

Re: WTN: Novy '05 Syrahs...(long/boring)

by Leanne S » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:25 am

Did you taste at the winery/warehouse in Santa Rosa or somewhere else? I'm asking because I've enjoyed Siduri/Novy events a couple of times before, but never tried to take visitors there or go on my own.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nope...

by TomHill » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:54 am

Leanne S wrote:Did you taste at the winery/warehouse in Santa Rosa or somewhere else?

Leanne,
This was just my regular Wed tasting in my home here in the boondocks of Northern NewMexico.
Tom