The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Then and now...`04 Scurati Nero d`Avola.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Then and now...`04 Scurati Nero d`Avola.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:45 pm

November 2006.

WTN: `04 SCURATI NERO D`AVOLA-AZ AGRICOLA CEUSO.

Decanted for an hour, no sediment noted. 13.5% and unfiltered, concrete tanks. Cost was $22 Cdn.

Colour. Guess dark ruby-red but has some purple edges on the rim. Very little transparency here and not much for legs.

Nose. Pepper, typical syrah-like nose. Hint of chocolate, spice, blackberry with earthy tones.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel is chalky earthyness and tannins hitting the gums! Cherry to the forefront, drinks nicely now. I especially like the aftertaste...cherry, plum and some tobacco. Quite complex, love the acidity and feel here. One of the best NDA`s for me, does not have that tinny finish!

**after 24 hrs, tannins smoothed out and nice aftertaste that really lingers on.

So forumites, that was a TN I posted elsewhere about 2 years ago.

2nd bottled tasted Nov 4th, 2008

Color. Dull cherry, starting to show hint of brick on rim. Not much depth in centre.

Nose. Very aromatic, cherry, raspberry, herbal/thyme. Earthy after an hour, has a nice warm feel here. (Cannot find the syrah-like tones this time around).

Palate. Still showing some light tannins, cherry, brief hint of ripeness. Nicely balanced, good acidity, fleshy medium-bodied. "Raisiny" from across the table, some blackcurrant after an hour or so.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: Then and now...`04 Scurati Nero d`Avola.

by Mark S » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:35 pm

So, any opinions formed on the ageability of nero d'avola?
(I haven't had enough data points to say one way or the other)