The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Seppelt Great Western Shiraz 1995

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Seppelt Great Western Shiraz 1995

by David Lole » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:10 am

Category: Shiraz, Victoria, Great Western

Languishing towards the bottom of a large stack of flat rectangular boxes in the south-eastern corner of my cellar, I recently discovered half a dozen almost forgotten bottles of this underneath a run of six 1995 Jack Mann. Untried for several years now, I thought it as good a time as any to rediscover one of my favourite labels over the years (the oldest vintage of this I’ve tried was the once silky and sumptuous 1972; the youngest, the extraordinarily good 2002 - 95 points).

Pleased to be able to report that over a 24 hour period this Outstanding example is right on song just at the minute with a bright future ahead of it. Garnishes a sexy medium- to dark-ruby core lightening marginally towards the meniscus. The nose offers up a dazzling array of aromas feautring dark plums, blackberries, substantial input from well-integrated savoury French oak with traces of road tar, cracked peppercorns, creosote, iodine and minerals. Smashing stuff! The palate is less developed revealing copious quantities of rich black fruits filling the mouth with the oak far more in the background. There’s considerable amplitude as the wine expands in the mouth with a slightly brawny texture that needs time to settle but is brought back into check with very fine, lively acidity and quite persistent chalky tannins. Long, powerful dry and puckering finish. Will easily handle another 10 years in the cellar and could possibly deliver one of the best results for this wonderful label in good time. 92 points today with a higher rating waiting in the wings.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Seppelt Great Western Shiraz 1995

by Salil » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:39 am

Great Western Shiraz when done well (Seppelt & Best's) is a real treat. Thanks for that note.

A slight digression - but how do Seppelt's lower end wines (particularly the Chalambar Shiraz) age? Just curious as I recently picked up some 97 Chalambar at a really good price, hoping it should still be drinking well.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:42 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Great Western Shiraz when done well (Seppelt & Best's) is a real treat. Thanks for that note.

A slight digression - but how do Seppelt's lower end wines (particularly the Chalambar Shiraz) age? Just curious as I recently picked up some 97 Chalambar at a really good price, hoping it should still be drinking well.

Would be well on the way towards matyrdom IMHO, Salil.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:49 am

Bugger. No wonder the price was so low. Either way, will give it a try and report back soon.

(After watching the cricket last night, I've become used to the sight of Aussies falling to pieces - so may as well open it in the spirit of the match :D)
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:03 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Bugger. No wonder the price was so low. Either way, will give it a try and report back soon.

(After watching the cricket last night, I've become used to the sight of Aussies falling to pieces - so may as well open it in the spirit of the match :D)

Ouch! Remind me never to get on your bad side, Salil.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:20 pm

David
The 95 Jack Mann is pretty good - at least it was about a year ago and I expect it to improve further still. Don't be afraid to open one though!
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Great Western Shiraz when done well (Seppelt & Best's) is a real treat. Thanks for that note.

Salil, speaking of wine at good prices--would you be interested in '04 Wynn's John Riddoch at $16.99? Halliday gave it 96 points, if you trust Halliday.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Don't trust Halliday but I'll buy just about any John Riddoch at a price like that. Where's it being sold?