The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '07 Hart's Steuben Rose'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '07 Hart's Steuben Rose'

by Carl Eppig » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:09 pm

2007 Hart's Wine Cellars, Steuben Rose', Bruce Giles Vineyard, Niagara County NY. Another nice wine from Howie. It gave a wonderblast of sweet red fruit on the nose and upfront. It the middle fresh strawberry and red cherry fruit combined very well with the off dry complexity. It finished nicely.

It matched very well with homemade sloppy joe's from the Food Network. Far from a humdrum Wednesday night.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: '07 Hart's Steuben Rose'

by Paul B. » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks for the note Carl.

Howie's Steuben is one of my favourite labrusca wines. Steuben itself is an interesting variety: its strawberry/rosewater aromas are not unlike those of Catawba. For some odd reason, though, there don't appear to be any Ontarian growers of Steuben. Clearly it could grow well here too, but no winery uses it.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: '07 Hart's Steuben Rose'

by Howie Hart » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:17 am

Actually, Steuben is grown mostly as a table grape. They guy I buy the grapes from sells most of them to one of the larger supermarket chains. I like the wine it makes. It is my go to Thanksgiving wine - not because it pairs up with turkey, but with the entire meal - mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy cranberry sauce, squash, etc.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.