The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Berryessa Gap, Luca Ferraris Ruche

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Berryessa Gap, Luca Ferraris Ruche

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:28 pm

At WineStyles last night, we tasted through the Berryessa Gap lineup. I found the Rose quite pleasant (of Syrah), the Malbec was, frankly, simple and sweet (koolaid), the Tempranillo was a little tight and may be suffering from bottle shock but offered some interesting funkyness. The Syrah was hot and not very interesting imo.

The most interesting wine in the lineup was their "Tradition," a blend of Petit Sirah, Zinfandel, Syrah and Pelourin. It offered some heat but also some nice layers of flavor and complexity with savory notes and that "fuzzy" mouth feel I like. And...it was $25. I am on a buying freeze, but I would buy this one. 87 point?.

From my cellar: 2005 Luca Ferraris Monferrato Rosso (Ruche). Imported by Bonny Doon and sold at their Santa Cruz tasting room. Under $20. Utterly different than the American wines above. Should probably have been tasted first. Light red/ruby in color. Quite light bodied as well, with a nose and palate of cranberry and pronounced white pepper. Highish acidity as well. I would desribe this wine, perhaps, as a thinner, less intense, and maybe less interesting cousin to the Poulsard wines from the Jura. This wine needs food-I think chicken or a risotto would bring out the flavors. Still...a nice light quaff, as I enjoy these hippy/artisanal acidic cranberry wines, so I would give this 85 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach