The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Scholium

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Scholium

by Tom Troiano » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:25 am

Does anyone have any experience with Scholium? I saw some of their wines in a recent wine newsletter and I was a bit surprised by the prices. What are they doing that is so unique/special? Is this considered a cult wine?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:48 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Does anyone have any experience with Scholium? I saw some of their wines in a recent wine newsletter and I was a bit surprised by the prices. What are they doing that is so unique/special? Is this considered a cult wine?
Tom T.

Tom,
I've had about 4-5 of them. They are......"interesting". AbeSchoener is the wiinemaker. Actually, I've liked all the ones I've tried..quite a bit. But they can be a little strange. Abe tries lots of different things and is pushing the winemaking boundaries. Some are like Gravner/Radikon making wines in the Jura. Some are more mainstream. But they are always an adventure and you must approach them w/ an open mind. Not sure I'd consider them a cult wine unless they've been annointed by Parker and they do seem a bit on the pricey side.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

Re: Yup...

by Tom Troiano » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:16 am

TomHill wrote:Abe tries lots of different things and is pushing the winemaking boundaries.

Thanks! What are some of the things that push the winemaking boundaries?

Tom T.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Re: Yup...

by TomHill » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:31 am

Tom Troiano wrote:Thanks! What are some of the things that push the winemaking boundaries?
Tom T.

You can go this his WebSite and read about it, Tom, if you already haven't. Some of the whites I've had
are made in an oxidative style like Radikon/Gravner. Extended skin contact and fermenting on the skins.
In a sense, he's sort of experimenting on some of his winemaking techniques and we get to try those
experiments.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Scholium

by Brian K Miller » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:53 am

Both the San Francisco Chronicle and, if I recall correctly, the New York Times had an article on this project, as did Wine and Spirits Magazine an issue or two ago.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Massachusetts

Re: Scholium

by Tom Troiano » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:47 pm

Thanks, guys!

Tom T.
Tom T.