The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Germany 08 quick update

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

Germany 08 quick update

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:32 pm

I had a phone conversation with Klaus Peter Keller today, and did a quick tour of the Saar. The picture is mixed. KPK was quite positive about the quality. He has picked most of the fruit, including the grand cru Rieslings from Westhoven, and is very happy with the results. The vintage reminds him stylistically of 96 and 04, so acids will be quite marked. He is using extended skin contact to buffer them better. He still has not picked Hubacker, whoich is about 2 wekks behind in ripeness. There is some bortytis, which is clean, and he wants it to dry off. The Saar presents a bleaker picture. The bortytis has been on the march for some weks, and the wet conditions - much wetter than in Rheinhessen - have not allowed the grapes to dry off and concentrate despite the noble rot. Zilliken has finished the harvest about 2 weeks ago, and I saw very few patches of vines with the fruit still hanging. One was the center piece of the Scharzhofberg, where Egon Müller is trying to turn an Auslese into a GKA, it seems. Zilliken harvested mostly Kabinett and Spl - highrest must weigt was 96 Oechsle. He has a small patch still out for Eiswein. I tasted the grapes there, and found the acids fairly soft, in contrast to tha acids in the Piesporter Goldtröpchen 10 days ago, where the grapes seems still a bit underripe to me (harvest was in full swing there). The grapes at Müller tasted great, esp. the healthy ones, with thrilling acidity (ripe but intense). Looks like a mixed bad, and those who could wait probably will produce some excellent wines. But an 07 it will not be.

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Germany 08 quick update

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:Looks like a mixed bad

A prophetic slip of the keyboard?

I have no doubt that top producers will make drastic selections to result in good or even great wines. Of course at this point I am looking for any excuse to not buy, so thanks for the ammunition.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Peter Ruhrberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:03 pm

Germany

by Peter Ruhrberg » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:59 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Peter Ruhrberg wrote:Looks like a mixed bad

A prophetic slip of the keyboard?

I have no doubt that top producers will make drastic selections to result in good or even great wines. Of course at this point I am looking for any excuse to not buy, so thanks for the ammunition.

Zilliken told me that selection was not really possible (compared to 07 for example, where he produced some markedly different wines of similar must weights by very precise selection). He said you could not tell concentrated grapes from diluted ones by sight - so there was no point in trying hard.
But things look different in Rheinhessen, and probably in the Nahe too, where Dönnhoff seems to have been harversing even slower than Keller. I have not spoken to him though. You know: every year you think you may have an excuse not to buy - and then you taste Dönnhoff and all is fogotten...

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:32 pm

Peter Ruhrberg wrote:You know: every year you think you may have an excuse not to buy - and then you taste Dönnhoff and all is fogotten...

I'm getting better though. In 2007 I just bought the Leistenberg Kabinett, Brucke Spatlese and a selection of the Grosses Gewachs wines.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:40 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Peter Ruhrberg wrote:You know: every year you think you may have an excuse not to buy - and then you taste Dönnhoff and all is fogotten...

I'm getting better though. In 2007 I just bought the Leistenberg Kabinett, Brucke Spatlese and a selection of the Grosses Gewachs wines.

Good job no probation then!!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:48 pm

The Donnhoffs were all ordered with the wife's permission before I went on probation.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:53 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The Donnhoffs were all ordered with the wife's permission before I went on probation.

Codependence is dependence nonetheless :P

But I noted the before part also.

Charles
Charles Weiss