The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Pinotage, Napa Syrah, Napa Cabs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Pinotage, Napa Syrah, Napa Cabs

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:18 pm

A quite diverse range of wines this weekend.

Starting with my first South African Pinotage, a simple 2003 Simonsig Stellenbosch. Weird. Just plain weird. I kinda like the dark cherry pinot-esque fruit, but I'm not sure I can get past the rubber and bandaid.

At Havens Winery south of Yountville, tried the new 2004 Havens Hudson Vineyard Syrah. I love how meaty and earthy their Hudson Vineyard Syrahs are. Every good small winery seems to have a wine that they just nail, every time. The Hudson Syrah, imho, is Havens'! I wouldn't say this is Northern Rhone, but it is definitely not Paso Robles, either. Delicious. Interestingly enough, the basic 2004 Napa Valley Syrah is lighter in tone, with more red fruit and less meat-but still somewhat savory. This was actually closer in character to the St. Joseph I had last week.

2004 Freemark Abbey "Josephine" Estate Bordeaux Blend. Boy...If I was not overextended and on a basic buying freeze, this is one lovely, classic, Napa Valley Claret. I just had a small taste, but the balance, the blend of flavors, the lowish alcohol, and the food friendly acidity are very impressive. The principle winemaker has been there 20 some years, and his wines have remained classic.

2003 William Harrison Rutherford Estate Cabernet Sauvignon. When I discovered this winery, I was more enamored with their Cab Franc bottlings. What I am discovering, though, is that a few years of bottle age makes a lot of difference. This 2003 was delicious last night with lamb and polenta stew...interestingly, it is more evolved than the 2002! Delicious currant fruit on the nose, with the strong anise note and dusty tannins that seem characteristic of this small winery. Thre is plenty of oak in these wines, but the fruit is powerful enough to absorb it, and the oak provides not nasty, nasty vanilla (bleh) but a delicious cedary background and a ton of smooth, earthy leather character. In fact, it was the leather that showed tonight-and I do love leather in my Napa Cabs. Fantastic wine. I am killing most of my wine clubs because my budget is shot, but this is one I really want to hold onto.

2002 White Rock Claret Napa Valley.
This blend (about 70% cab and the rest the Bordeaux varietals) was quite nice, also. I might have preferred the WH above, but this bold bright wine showed well also. Definitely a bright, bold, even brash young wine. Plenty of raspberry and cherry fruit and somewhat forward tannins that fell off at the end of the taste. Also, more than a dash of green pepper here. Definitely some food friendly acidity as well. We'll see how it held up overnight as we didn't finish it.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Pinotage, Napa Syrah, Napa Cabs

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:41 pm

Pinotage makes every weekend diverse!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Pinotage makes every weekend diverse!

LOL! I did have one California Pinotage from Fort Ross (South African Expats) which was rather clunky, if I am using the term correctly, but did not have the utterly strange bandaid flavor. Is this characteristic of South African wines?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:24 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:utterly strange bandaid flavor. Is this characteristic of South African wines?

Bandaid=brett.

Whether that is characteristic of South African wines I will leave to someone else :D
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:30 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:utterly strange bandaid flavor. Is this characteristic of South African wines?

Bandaid=brett.

Whether that is characteristic of South African wines I will leave to someone else :D

I like a touch of brett in Rhone wines, but this was a new level of intensity! It tasted like drinking wine through a vinyl strainer.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:33 pm

I have found that band-aid element in a lot of Pinotage (say 6-8 of hte 10 or so I have ever tried), so maybe it's the grape.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:39 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I have found that band-aid element in a lot of Pinotage (say 6-8 of hte 10 or so I have ever tried), so maybe it's the grape.

I have heard that.

Although there might also be something in common with the vinification practices of certain producers.

I seem to remember Paul B. complaining about 'modern' slicked-up non-bandaidey Pinotage.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:35 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I seem to remember Paul B. complaining about 'modern' slicked-up non-bandaidey Pinotage.

Absolutely!

I find the modern ones "sanitized", if you will, and lacking those band-aidey/sulfury-coal/leather/estery aromas that first endeared me to the wine. While I decry the campaign against the old style, I do think there should be room for both: the squeaky-sanitized "offend nobody" style, and the cherished classical Pinotage that was still very much the norm among the immediate post-apartheid imports to Ontario.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:45 pm

Paul B. wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:I seem to remember Paul B. complaining about 'modern' slicked-up non-bandaidey Pinotage.

Absolutely!

I find the modern ones "sanitized", if you will, and lacking those band-aidey/sulfury-coal/leather/estery aromas that first endeared me to the wine. While I decry the campaign against the old style, I do think there should be room for both: the squeaky-sanitized "offend nobody" style, and the cherished classical Pinotage that was still very much the norm among the immediate post-apartheid imports to Ontario.

It was certainly an interesting wine, Paul. Being the basic bottling, this one didn't have much, if any, oak treatment and was probably not tweaked to fit the international palate. Not sure I would buy another bottle, but I did find it unique-and that is a good thing!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:51 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
LOL! I did have one California Pinotage from Fort Ross (South African Expats) which was rather clunky, if I am using the term correctly, but did not have the utterly strange bandaid flavor. Is this characteristic of South African wines?

Brian,
That sort of clunky/coarse character seems to go w/ Pinotage. That FtRoss version was, IMHO, the greatest Pinotage
I've ever tasted. What's amazing is that it's grown way the hell & gone out there on the Coast...very cold area.
The FtRoss Pinots are also rather good I think.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

Re: Yup....

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 pm

TomHill wrote:
Brian,
That sort of clunky/coarse character seems to go w/ Pinotage. That FtRoss version was, IMHO, the greatest Pinotage
I've ever tasted. What's amazing is that it's grown way the hell & gone out there on the Coast...very cold area.
The FtRoss Pinots are also rather good I think.
Tom

Tom: I tasted through a 2004 and pre-release 2005 lineup of Fort Ross wines at a nice wine shop in Albany, CA (on Solano Avenue), and they produced a 2004 Pinot/Pinotage blend that was quite good. The chunkiness helped broaden and add structure to a Pinot Noir that was a little thin in that vintage.

The 2005 vintage Pinot Noir didn't benefit as much from the Pinotage, though.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:31 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I have found that band-aid element in a lot of Pinotage (say 6-8 of hte 10 or so I have ever tried), so maybe it's the grape.

Its not the grape, as evidenced by the California and New Zealand Pinotages.

There's said to be a particularly virulent strain of brett in SA.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:33 am

Brian K Miller wrote: It was certainly an interesting wine, Paul. Being the basic bottling, this one didn't have much, if any, oak treatment and was probably not tweaked to fit the international palate.

Simonsig make two Pinotages. The basic one sees no wood treatment. The Simonsig Redhill is wood aged.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yep...

by TomHill » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 am

Brian K Miller wrote:
Tom: I tasted through a 2004 and pre-release 2005 lineup of Fort Ross wines at a nice wine shop in Albany, CA (on Solano Avenue), and they produced a 2004 Pinot/Pinotage blend that was quite good. The chunkiness helped broaden and add structure to a Pinot Noir that was a little thin in that vintage.

The 2005 vintage Pinot Noir didn't benefit as much from the Pinotage, though.

That would undoubtedly be SolanoCellars. Quite a nice shop where Steve Edmunds once worked
and where BillEaston got his start.
Interesting...Pinot/Pinotage blend..who'd have thunk.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:25 am

I agree with Peter about the band aid thing - not a necessary characteristic of Pinotage in my experience Unless you guys are calling something else band-aid), though often present. hey Mark - if you are out there, what compounds give you that band-aid thing?.

I don't drink much Pinotage any more because I don't find it very interesting, and because of the coarse funky character Paul loves but I find tedious. I find selected Pinotages to be decent (Kanonkop is very reliable, and I've tasted OK Beyerskloof) but you have to look through a mass of indifferent ones to find the gems.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:14 pm

Bill Spohn wrote: I find selected Pinotages to be decent (Kanonkop is very reliable, and I've tasted OK Beyerskloof) but you have to look through a mass of indifferent ones to find the gems.

A sure sign of its Pinot Noir parentage :)
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Peter May wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote: I find selected Pinotages to be decent (Kanonkop is very reliable, and I've tasted OK Beyerskloof) but you have to look through a mass of indifferent ones to find the gems.

A sure sign of its Pinot Noir parentage :)

Probably a fair comment given the notorious difficulty associated with consistently making good wine from that troublesome grape!