The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN - 91 Nuit St. Georges, Les Porets, Dom. Faiveley

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Eric Lo

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:17 am

Hong Kong

WTN - 91 Nuit St. Georges, Les Porets, Dom. Faiveley

by Eric Lo » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:03 am

Open up with an elegant yet explosive violet , a nice spread of truffle with no lack of sweet strawberry fruit and a warm mineral tone in the background, a nose that I keep asking myself, "should I drink it, or just smell it?" But knowing the wine would decline in an hour, I drink it in big sip and ye god, the layered velvety mouthfeel that is made of leather, rich red berry fruit lingering in the mouth . Finish is good only and ended with a bit of the Nuit St. Georges' earthiness. Great wine indeed!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN - 91 Nuit St. Georges, Les Porets, Dom. Faiveley

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:09 pm

It helps that you had the necessary patience to give the wine 17 years to come around. My problem is that Faiveley pushes the limits of patience for me.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:My problem is that Faiveley pushes the limits of patience for me.

Well you should be in luck. I hear that new stylistic changes are making their wines easier to appreciate when young.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:22 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:My problem is that Faiveley pushes the limits of patience for me.

Well you should be in luck. I hear that new stylistic changes are making their wines easier to appreciate when young.

Perfect, now that I can no longer afford Burgundy.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:26 pm

I heard about it on Squires, thought you might have seen the thread:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/sho ... t=Faiveley

Apparently the same consultant who worked at Fevre a few years ago is now with Faiveley.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:34 pm

Yeah - I saw that. Given that the only Faiveley I can now buy is Bourgogne or Mercurey it's unlikely to affect me too much.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Thanks for posting the note, Eric, and, yes, put me down as another in the Faiveley "too hard basket".

From a few reports I've read of late, this Domaine may have lightened off on the ferocious acid/tannin regimes responsible for many virtually impossibly tight and unyielding structures in their wines, although for some reason, I generally found their affordable Mercurey 1er's La Frombosiere, from the better years, surprisingly fleshy and approachable from an early age. The 1993, 1995 and 1996 were all very good to excellent as mid-term drinkers. Unfortunately, I've been burnt on too many occasions with many of Faiveley's 1er's and GC's, and, with the large number of very fine Burgundian makers on the market, where it's hardly necessary to wait 20, even 30 years, for the wine just to "come around" (I really doubt whether some of these Faiveley's will ever do so!), decided, some years ago, to invest my hard-earned in other directions.

And, if the wine's are now more approachable and user-friendly, the monumental price hikes in the last few years have virtually killed me off, in any case.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Looks like we feel similarly on quite a few fronts here, DMB.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Eric Lo

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:17 am

Hong Kong

by Eric Lo » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 am

David et all,

I DO NOT have the patience but just so happened picked it up at Wine Club at OC for 50USD this summer and in general I was not impressed by Faiveley liek many experience of you guys, I had the 05 Corton Clos des Corton with the following note

05 Corton, Clos des Corton, Faiveley;

Shut tight as a rock for hours but the breed and depth was felt , gradually opens up after many hours to let out a focused yet tightly knit nose made of some structured minty dark fruit and roast meat. We triple decanted it in bottles and finally the last bit at hr8+ shows a wonderfully rich and elegant palate with lush fruit , lively acidity and good dose of riped tannin accompanied by a very long, comfortable and balanced finish. Primary now but would gradually developed to become more interesting! Who has some of of it?? A great comeback! ***+ today with lots of upward potential

yes, it does need time to mellow up!

cheers,
Eric