The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Baumard εψιλον

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: 2 Baumard εψιλον

by Saina » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:59 pm

Domaine des Baumard Savennières Clos du Papillon 2005 13% abv; screwcap
This was at first quite reductive with its scent of rubber. Just 10 minutes or so decanting cleared that up and the result was gorgeous. It does show as a hugely ripe wine, more ripe than my Platonic ideal, but certainly not overdone. It has classic Chenin aromas of pear, hay and quince and also lovely minerality and some citrus. Full bodied, very ripe, but with enough acidity to keep the whole very balanced and refreshing. Persistent, mineral aftertaste. Lovely wine!

Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume 2004 13% abv; last under cork?
Thought the ideal time to open these must be decades away, I still found this to be an enchanting drink. The scent has a lovely touch of quince and green aromas (peas I would say rather than asparagus). The botrytis isn't an in your face type of orange peel as it so often is with Sauternes for example, but rather is a lovely, concentrated lemon aroma. Full bodied, sweet but not heavy, lovely, bright acidity with a slight but delightful quinine bitterness to bring the whole further refreshing elements. Dangerously moreish even at this εψιλον stage.

On Richard Kelley's site, I see that some don't consider Baumard typical for Savennières. Why is that?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2 Baumard εψιλον

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:06 pm

I have no idea why Baumard would not be considered typical. Perhaps too good?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:41 pm

I have tasted a few vintages of Baumard Quarts de Chaume and they have been uniformly remarkable. I always thought they were the benchmark for Quarts de Chaume, so I do find that notion strange.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:46 pm

The website Otto refers to is here: http://richardkelley.co.uk/

Not sure if it has been discussed here, but it gives great detail on the history and politics behind different growers and stylistic movements in Savennieres.

I believe the critique he is referring to against Baumard is that they were one of the first in the region to put many/most/some of their wines through malolactic fermentation. Which made their wines rounder and not as fierce as the Tijou wines, the pre-2004 Domaine aux Moines wines or the pre-2002 Closel wines, for example. Of course all styles and 'traditions' have their starting point, and everything is in flux, so who is to say what is typical.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:24 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I have no idea why Baumard would not be considered typical. Perhaps too good?

Good point, David. I have rarely been disappointed by Baumard, whereas the reverse is the case with most other producers of Savennières which spring to mind. There is certainly no regular winner, like Huet and Foreau in Vouvray. I think that Kelley's very detailed and scholarly report bears this out; he is particularly severe on Nicolas Joly. (I am having trouble accessing his site today.)
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:50 am

I have never been a fan of Joly's wines, which seem to me more about philosophy than taste.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:10 pm

Rahsaan wrote:The website Otto refers to is here: http://richardkelley.co.uk/

Thanks for the link, it made for very interesting reading. The part about Joly is pretty devastating. Coulee de Serrant is one of those "greats" that I have yet to try and am very curious about; Kelley sure puts a damper on buying any bottle from a recent vintage.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Jim Brennan

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

by Jim Brennan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:09 pm

I recently read an older book (Jacqualine Freidrich's Loire book), and she had much the same scathing evaluation of Joly by the mid-1990s.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:09 pm

A quick search of notes on this board seems to contain only positive reviews of more recent Coulee de Serrants...

Though Kelley makes a point of distinguishing oxidative from oxidised, it sounds like he doesn't like oxidative styles; as a departure from typicity, oxidation would certainly rank as a greater "offender" than malolactic fermentation.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm in the camp where recent vintages of CdS left me unimpressed. That said, (much) older Joly wines can be great.

One of the complaints about Baumard (especially the Savennieres ) is an herbal/asparagus note. I've never gotten it, but I think a lot of these things are genetic (see greenness in Pichon Lalande, Loire, etc).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Dale Williams wrote:One of the complaints about Baumard (especially the Savennieres ) is an herbal/asparagus note.

That only happens within a 50 mile radius of Boston.
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:40 pm

I am so in love with Baumard these few weeks and I'm really glad I am new enough to Savannieres not to approach it with any prejudices.

In a recent Baumard vs. Closel tasting, Baumard came off as the clear winner for me:

http://2grandcru.blogspot.com/2008/09/loire-tasting-at-giaconda-domaine-des.html
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:55 pm

ChaimShraga wrote:I am so in love with Baumard these few weeks and I'm really glad I am new enough to Savannieres not to approach it with any prejudices.

I think you clearly pegged the differences. Closel post-2001 has taken a radical stylistic shift and nobody really knows what will happen to the wines. Most of the reputation was based on the period before the shift towards more ripeness, so while some are confident that the new wines will show plenty of breed and stand the test of time, it is still wait and see time.