The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2002 Weinert Malbec Reserva

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2002 Weinert Malbec Reserva

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:59 am

2002 Weinert Malbec Reserva Mendoza 14.0%
Weinert is a traditional Argentine producer who held out longer than most against the trend towards international style wines made in hot climates from supermature grapes, generating early maturing high alcohol juices that require acidulation. 2002 was a great vintage in Argentina so I was happy when I found this bottle in a local wine store a month ago, the last of its kind, alone and unwanted, violins playing in the background, for a pittance. Lovely aromas combining barnyard, cassis and church incense. Excellent acid/fruit balance, well-integrated alcohol, additional flavors of dark cherry and cocoa. A mature wine, delivering much pleasure at this point, bearing eloquent witness to the refinement of the older style Argentine malbecs.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2002 Weinert Malbec Reserva

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks, Oswaldo. I found a similar orphan from 2002 at the local gourmet supermarket-Martino was the winery. The last one. The wine department manager recommended it heartily, so I am looking forward to drinking it if 2002 was a good vintage!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2002 Weinert Malbec Reserva

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:23 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:Thanks, Oswaldo. I found a similar orphan from 2002 at the local gourmet supermarket-Martino was the winery. The last one. The wine department manager recommended it heartily, so I am looking forward to drinking it if 2002 was a good vintage!

Don't know this winery, Martino, looking forward to your report.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.