The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

What are you drinking for the Fourth of July Holiday?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: What are you drinking for the Fourth of July Holiday?

by Carl Eppig » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:49 pm

Pepperwood Grove Syrah with grilled salmon fillet with dill weed, roasted baby Yukons, and peas. Very traditional New England fare.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:13 pm

As it turned out, it was a beer day for us too ... it turned stormy and rainy here (although the front has passed and the sun's out again now), so we went to Bluegrass Brewing Co., an excellent local brewpub, and sampled American Pale Ale, wheat beer, smoked wheat and a Belgian red ale along with blackened salmon and a black-bean burrito. Nice way to celebrate the Fourth!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:14 pm

3 French wines (though two were corked). Remember that they helped us win the Revolution.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:17 am

Dupont cidre. Normandy. Organic. Not the brut.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:21 am

Not so fast! Latin spirit might yet overcome Teutonic precision. One can hope, anyway.

(I'd love to watch a France-Italy final ... )

I was hoping for a France-Germany final, but it looks like I was thwarted! And probably because the Chinon never got opened but instead I was forced to drink a ripe Canon-Fronsac. Bordeaux will do it to you everytime.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:06 am

In honor of your special day and as I set up camp in Red Deer, I will open a `04 Cedar Creek Pinot Gris. I will be looking out for USA number plates and I will wave and honk my horn. Hows zat?
Oh my goodness, was it yesterday!!?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:45 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:In honor of your special day and as I set up camp in Red Deer, I will open a `04 Cedar Creek Pinot Gris. I will be looking out for USA number plates and I will wave and honk my horn. Hows zat?
Oh my goodness, was it yesterday!!?

LOL! In honor of the longest undefended border in the world (despite idiotic attempt to "beef up security") I here by declare July 5th Bob Parson Canadian-America Day! Let Freedom Ring and the wine and beer be consumed!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:10 pm

I here by declare July 5th Bob Parson Canadian-America Day! Let Freedom Ring and the wine and beer be consumed!
And pies! Don't forget the pies. Bob could feed a nation with what he has in his freezer.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:14 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
I here by declare July 5th Bob Parson Canadian-America Day! Let Freedom Ring and the wine and beer be consumed!
And pies! Don't forget the pies. Bob could feed a nation with what he has in his freezer.

I love fruit pie! What kind does Bob bake? With the heat and humidity here in DC, a little trip to Alberta to celebrate Bob Parson Canadian-American Day is sounding pretty good.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Bob has all sorts of pies up there. The guy is a pie-horder I tell ya.
BP Can-Am Day! We need to start lobbying for another day off.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:52 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:Bob has all sorts of pies up there. The guy is a pie-horder I tell ya.
BP Can-Am Day! We need to start lobbying for another day off.

I agree. With Canada Day and Independence Day in the same week, this makes for a natural day off for everyone in both Countries. I wonder if Bob realizes the power he has unleashed!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:26 am

Very good James!! Just back. Need the pies for my annual sweetie session in December however. Saw lots of your fellow compatriots down in Red Deer, all off to Jasper and Banff. How on earth can they afford to run those huge motorhomes with the price of gas the way it is?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:03 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Very good James!! Just back. Need the pies for my annual sweetie session in December however. Saw lots of your fellow compatriots down in Red Deer, all off to Jasper and Banff. How on earth can they afford to run those huge motorhomes with the price of gas the way it is?

I have no idea. I'm not one of them, and I'm not sure I'd want to be, although they do give you the freedom to roam this great continent. I prefer the trailer myself. I've borrowed my in-laws' a few times and it's a great way to camp. I stick to the east coast. We never have time to make it out west. Banff and Jasper are on the "to do' list along some day.

What is this "sweetie session" in December? Do you do a dessert wine party with pies? I don't see Sauternes matching with pies myself, and that is the ultimate "sweetie" (excepting my wife, of course). Glad you're back!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:18 am

James, around Xmas time Robin features dessert wines. In fact the old WT 101 in Dec. was devoted to port and "stickies". I always turn out a bunch of fruit pies for the occasion......maple apple, blueberry, blackberry, cranberry rhubarb, and so on. I get into a whole bunch of trouble here as I am asked "what are all those pies doing in the freezer compartment?". I smile, life goes on!!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:39 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:James, around Xmas time Robin features dessert wines. In fact the old WT 101 in Dec. was devoted to port and "stickies". I always turn out a bunch of fruit pies for the occasion......maple apple, blueberry, blackberry, cranberry rhubarb, and so on. I get into a whole bunch of trouble here as I am asked "what are all those pies doing in the freezer compartment?". I smile, life goes on!!

Port and blackberrt pie? Mmmmmm.......... I may need a ticket to Alberta for Christmas. Fruit pies are one of my great weaknesses.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:02 pm

James, you are better off coming in November for the rodeo!! We have a lot of lady barrel racers staying here every year and they love the pies and port that we offer. Talk to Bill, he can never find me that week!!!
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:09 am

Howie Hart wrote:Shhh.... PaulB might read this and the whole Primitivo, Catawba, Concord, Norton, Delaware thread may get resurrected. :shock:

LOL!! You know, I forgot all about that thread of last year (or previous years), but thanks for reminding me ... :twisted:

I'll just briefly restate my own inclination. In honour of America's day, I would be most likely to open either a Norton/Cynthiana or a Chambourcin, or some other top-quality hybrid blend (such as the wonderful Chardonel/Traminette blend that Robin brought to NiagaraCool).

Then again, the Left Coast is every bit as American as the heartland, so I have no quirky dogmatic reservations about opening a good peppery Zin or an Ironstone Obsession! :)
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
Previous