The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Another Napa Valley Saturday OR Do Soccer And Wine Mix?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Another Napa Valley Saturday OR Do Soccer And Wine Mix?

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:43 am

Zari had some cousins in this weekend so we decided to take a little tour of Napa. Where does one go in the Valley when one has half a dozen Persians in tow? Darioush, of course!

There was some friendly teeth-pulling to yank the men away from the Portugal-England game, but we finally got out of the house. We first made a 90-minute stop at Goosecross Cellars. (The viognier was killer.) And then we headed down the Silverado Trail to Persepolis in the Valley. There was any number of oohs and aahs as well as some criticism of the décor. And then they spotted the flat screen TV's in the alcoves. Usually, there's something cultural or historical or artsy fartsy showing, but today they had on Brazil versus France.

Well, we ordered the five-taste menu and our hostess brought us wine and pistachios while we all watched Brazil go down in defeat. For some reason, I just found it horribly amusing that this relatively classy joint had been turned into a sports bar for a morning ... hoots, hollers and all.

Well, game over, we trucked up to V. Sattui for a picnic. Talk about being a tourist! But it was all a heck of a lot of fun. The day ended with kabobs on the grill with some of my mango salsa verde just to keep things cross-cultural.

Now, on Sunday I did something I swore I'd never do. We caravaned over to San Francisco and walked the Embarcadero on a weekend in tourist season, the Fourth of July weekend no less! If you are agoraphobic, this little outing would have cured or killed ya'.
And now what?