The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Raymond Burr CS '99 (DCV)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: Raymond Burr CS '99 (DCV)

by John Treder » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:51 pm

I was enjoying the steak Diane too much to pay much attention to the wine, which was just fine. The steak Diane (from an old Pierre Franey recipe) and the wine, both. And it's a beautiful Santa Clara Valley evening, and the Giants won, and I fixed my computer (yet again), and all's right with the world.

Dark in color and flavor, not much tannin except for the darkness, medium body and length. The sort of wine that you don't notice how good it is because there aren't any exclamation points, but it's very, very good anyway.

86% Cab Sauv, 14% Cab Franc. Bought at the winery for $38 (AUGGGHHHH!! But I knew it would be expensive) in October '05.

Raymond Burr is up Wine Creek Road from Upper Dry Creek Road, and definitely off the main pathway, and I was all alone in the tasting room on that Saturday afternoon.

I sort of like it that way, but the moths in my wallet complain about losing their friends (pictures of dead men). :wink:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Raymond Burr CS '99 (DCV)

by Jenise » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:03 pm

John, I knew that Raymond Burr had lived in that area, but didn't realize that he had a winery, or that someone had started one in his name. I guess it shouldn't surprise me. The wines are generally good?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:58 am

The wines are generally good, in my opinion, if a little on the pricey side. The tasting room is on the road up the hill to Rafanelli, right next door to one of the very old Zin vineyards.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:16 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:The wines are generally good, in my opinion, if a little on the pricey side. The tasting room is on the road up the hill to Rafanelli, right next door to one of the very old Zin vineyards.

And what do they make--the usual Sonoma suspects?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:37 pm

I knew that Raymond Burr had lived in that area, but didn't realize that he had a winery, or that someone had started one in his name.
From a Burr obit

"Burr purchased a 40-acre ranch and vineyard in the Dry Creek region of the Sonoma Valley, where at various times he raised rare sheep for their wool, produced wine, and grew organic fruits and vegetables."
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:52 pm

Yep. Zin, Cab, Merlot. I don't have a wide experience of Raymond Burr, because it's a step up in price from my usual limit. The Cab tasted good at the tasting room, so I bought one.
And I didn't taste any whites when I was there.

The Cab improved overnight in the refrigerator, and it was nicely Cabernet-ish last night with lamb chops.

The end of it, this evening, had lost its fruit and the tannin was about all that was left. It was a solid bottle, but not what I'd call marvelous.