The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN 2005 Miner Sangiovese Rosato Mendocino California.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN 2005 Miner Sangiovese Rosato Mendocino California.

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:49 pm

WTN 2005 Miner Sangiovese Rosato Mendocino California. $18; Andrea Immer Wine Club.

Medium red color, medium hue, very good fruit and spice aroma and taste, could use a bit more acidity for my taste, but pleasant medium mouth feel, and long finish. Surprising tastes for Sangiovese -- quite different from any other wine made from this grape, at least in my experience. 3*.

I've enjoyed reading Andrea Immer's books, and thought it might be fun to follow her wine club and tasting notes for a few months. (As you know, I love taking reccos from other people and then trying the wines for myself.) Andrea's website is clunky and needs some real work, but the first four wines she sent me each have their own charms. This one was quite good, and the other three were better -- notes anon.

Here's what Andrea found: "The Rosato has a beautiful spicy-pomegranate, rose petal and white pepper scent and mouthwatering watermelon-raspberry flavors."

And here is what the winemaker promises: "This dry fermented, medium bodied rosé of Sangiovese is made using traditional French methodology. The juice spends 72 hours in contact with the red skins giving this pink a powerful punch of flavor and color." 700 cases. 72-hour cold soak. Alcohol 14.2%. Vineyard: Gibson Ranch, Mendocino. 100% Sangiovese. 100% Mendocino.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: WTN 2005 Miner Sangiovese Rosato Mendocino California.

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:11 pm

Too expensive when you can get all those great French and Spanish roses for $10 plus or minus a couple of bucks. They also usually have the acidity too. I will look for real Italian rosatos and try to report back. I do have a California rose from Amador Co. I will probably be drinking it on Tue. at the picnic.

(Robin - Isn't it time to ask everyone what they are drinking Tuesday?)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:45 pm

Too expensive when you can get all those great French and Spanish roses for $10 plus or minus a couple of bucks.
So true, James. But I'm finding more and more of the rose' that I've enjoyed creeping up quickly in price (like all wines I suppose). I used to have a $10 maximum for rose' unless it was an occasional bottle of Tempier. Now even that Lageder I mentioned in another thread was $15. A Donjon at $15. The rose' bordeaux (Pavie, Monbouquette for example) at $16-18. Ack!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:36 pm

I paid $12 for the Pavie at Calvert-Woodley in DC and while it was quite good, it was hardly the best of the summer. There are too many in the $10 category in the DC area for me to move up. Maybe a trip to DC is in order! C-W's MacArthur's.....load up the van and head back north.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:15 pm

It's $15.00 at the winery, Bill. But still too expensive for a Rosato. Part of the learning curve for a wine club, I suppose -- my first experience, but so far the wines have been interesting and new to me. At least the next three are better -- we'll see about the price.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Bob Ross wrote:It's $15.00 at the winery, Bill. But still too expensive for a Rosato. Part of the learning curve for a wine club, I suppose -- my first experience, but so far the wines have been interesting and new to me. At least the next three are better -- we'll see about the price.

As a Miner wine club member, there is a 15% discount, which makes it a much better buy. I enjoy it every year and usually pick up some extra bottles.. there is a shop close to me that sometimes has it for $11.99....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:21 pm

Miner's Wine Club will ship, but not to New Jersey. At $12.00, I could recommend this wine as an offbeat quaffer.