The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1995 Gallet - Cote Rotie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff_Dudley

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:46 am

SoCal

WTN: 1995 Gallet - Cote Rotie

by Jeff_Dudley » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:49 am

This is such delicate and lovely stuff. Gives a wonderful, complex aroma of raspberry, cherry, wild floral notes (rose petal, violet, lilac), smoked bacon, even licorice. All very intense and delicate, no oak heaviness at all. The pinot-like body, color and texture deceives one to think there''s not going to be much flavor, but wrong. Flavors are raspberry, cherry, a little spice, a little garrigue. Finishes with little tannin, smooth, long and sweet.

It was hard waiting on these, but I really trusted the vintage and the house - and Kid Yaniger. This absolutely defines the character that I love most about the Rhone. If I had to drink one house wine forever (and who does), this could be it. Hell, I'd be almost happy enough just to endlessly swirl and sniff it. Bottle #5 of 12, $24.99 from Conejo Wine & Provision.

Happy happy. Oh, enjoyed this entire bottle tonight with homemade grilled sausages, blackeyes and dandelion greens. Dawn even liked M. Gallet's label.
"No one can possibly know what is about to happen: it is happening, each time, for the first time, for the only time."

James A. Baldwin
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: 1995 Gallet - Cote Rotie

by Tim York » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:11 am

Sounds like Côte Rôtie as I like it! Also encouraging news for a 1995; so many have been stubborn.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: 1995 Gallet - Cote Rotie

by Mark S » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:24 am

Cote Rotie is my favorite expression of syrah, and Gallet one of my favorite producers.
Makes me wish I had some of this to try, but alas. :cry: