The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A nice Gewurz + Rhinehessen & Priorat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A nice Gewurz + Rhinehessen & Priorat

by Saina » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:42 pm

With an "Indian" dish of prawns in coconut milk:
  • 2007 Pannonhalmi Apátsági Pincészet Tramini - Hungary, Pannonhalma-Sokoroalja (10/22/2008)

12,65€. Gewürztraminer; 13% abv; 5,2g/l acidity. The nose is very true to the grape with its litchi and rosewater aromas, but these aromas are in a more restrained and elegant style than seems common for the grape. It is a strongly mineral rather than an explosively fruity scent. Fully dry palate, quite forceful even, deep, grippy and even earthy palate with surprisingly noticeable acidity for the grape. Long, mineral aftertaste. The power, dryness and elegance brought Alsace of the Trimbach style to my mind! Very nice.

A couple brief tastes at a formal tasting:
  • 2006 Miguel Torres Priorat Salmos - Spain, Catalunya, Priorat (10/20/2008)
    22,90€; 14,5% abv; Garnacha, Syrah, Cariñena. Purple. The nose is very ripe, with sweet red berries and darker fruit notes, much barrique-scents but gladly the toast seems moderate rather than high. The taste is extremely full-bodied and extracted, but it does have lovely structure: moderate acidity and refreshing tannins. I think that those who appreciate Priorat might find this to be a perfectly decent, moderately priced example. But I must confess that apart from a Trio Infernal I have been uniformly let down by the area, so I am not a good judge of this wine: I don't like new oak and big fruit and body.
  • 2006 Spiess Bechtheimer Geyersberg Riesling Trocken "S" - Germany, Rheinhessen (10/20/2008)
    23,90€; 12% abv; 6g/l RS; 8g/l acidity. Ripe but pure Riesling fruit, strongly mineral, some quinine-like bitterness. Dry but not tart, ripe but not overly fruity - it is balanced and seems like a success (but this was just a quick sip, not a proper taste over dinner). Good enough that I will buy one to try over dinner some day soon.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A nice Gewurz + Rhinehessen & Priorat

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:33 pm

I am not even going to try pronouncing that, much less finding it. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:With an "Indian" dish of prawns in coconut milk:
  • 2007 Pannonhalmi Apátsági Pincészet Tramini - Hungary, Pannonhalma-Sokoroalja (10/22/2008)

12,65€. Gewürztraminer; 13% abv; 5,2g/l acidity. The nose is very true to the grape with its litchi and rosewater aromas, but these aromas are in a more restrained and elegant style than seems common for the grape. It is a strongly mineral rather than an explosively fruity scent. Fully dry palate, quite forceful even, deep, grippy and even earthy palate with surprisingly noticeable acidity for the grape. Long, mineral aftertaste. The power, dryness and elegance brought Alsace of the Trimbach style to my mind! Very nice.

Thank you for the notes Otto. I love what Hungary is doing these days and I've had some epecially fine whites of the aromatic variety. We don't however, get wines from up in Pannonhalma here in the US.

Prost!
Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:45 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:Thank you for the notes Otto. I love what Hungary is doing these days and I've had some epecially fine whites of the aromatic variety. We don't however, get wines from up in Pannonhalma here in the US.

Yup. I've tried an interesting Zöldveltelini recently, too - Grüner Veltliner. We just got a bunch of reds from Hungary available at rather expensive prices - Wunderlich, Joszef Bock, Gróf Zichy and Tüzkö Domb - do you know these? Any opinions? I've only tried a Bock Cab Franc and that was pretty nice.

Also, does anyone (DB?) know anything about Spiess? That was a new name to me.
-O
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:14 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:
Also, does anyone (DB?) know anything about Spiess?

Arrakis, Dune, desert planet. The worms control the Speiss.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:11 pm

Otto Nieminen wrote:We just got a bunch of reds from Hungary available at rather expensive prices - Wunderlich, Joszef Bock, Gróf Zichy and Tüzkö Domb - do you know these?

Sorry, I am not familiar with any of the three. From which regions do they come?

Otto Nieminen wrote:Also, does anyone (DB?) know anything about Spiess? That was a new name to me.
-O

Oddly, Spiess is pretty well known for Cabernet and Merlot (yes, in the Rheinhessen.) Never tried those, but I have tasted a good bottle of thier Silvaner. Is anything else from them available in Finland?

-Bill
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com