The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: El Dorado (CA) Wine Crawl

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: El Dorado (CA) Wine Crawl

by Jenise » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:13 pm

Bob and I met up with four other couples to do some wine tasting and kibbutzing in the beautiful El Dorado Hills of California. Things have changed enormously since I was there 8-10 years ago. Where I recall a small handful of wineries, there are now dozens and small vineyards are on just about every south facing hillside. Some brief notes on a few of our stops follow.

But first it bears mentioning that the night before we met up with our friends, Bob and I dined at a little restaurant in Auburn where we ordered the three zins they had on offer by the glass as a palate calibration exercise of sorts. They were the 05 Rombauer (Napa), 06 Pezzi King (Sonoma) and 06 Sobon Old Vines (local/Amador). For those unfamiliar with California, El Dorado and it's neighboring county to the warmer south, Amador, are several hours southeast of California's larger, more famous Napa-Sonoma region in what is California's gold country. We were staying less than 20 miles from the site of the very gold discovery that set off California's gold rush of 1849. Zinfandel has historically been this area's most successful grape, but almost every winery also produces syrah, petite sirah, and some Cal-Ital varietals. Anyway, back to the little restaurant in Auburn, we found the Rombauer undrinkably sweet and dense with heavy oak, too little acid and a hot vodka finish; the Pezzi King somewhat better but still a bit leaden especially compared with the third wine, the local offering Sobon, which was lighter in all the right ways with well-delineated fruit and great acidity. Yup, we were in the RIGHT place.

Miraflores
The winemaker is Napa transplant Marco Capelli who spent a long career at Swanson, IIRC. Disappointments were a 2007 Pinot Grigio which tasted of pears, toasted barrel and too much RS, a 2006 Barbera that combined a Duboeufy grape-banana nose and rounded malolactic flavors, and a 2007 Muscat Canelli with too little acidity. Just okay were the 2007 Herbert Vineyard zin (owned by Capelli), and a 2004 syrah that was fairly fat and sweet. The good to very good wines were a bright and spicy 05 Zin, an 03 Syrah (from purchased grapes) that had the smokey nose and roasted meat thing we get too little of in American syrahs, an 05 Syrah with excellent fruit and minerality, a mentholated 05 Petite Sirah and a softer 06 Petite Sirah. The standouts, and the wines I purchased, were the complex and european styled 05 and 06 Methode Ancienne syrahs made from estate grapes and left to develop wild yeasts, and the 2006 Meritage made of 50% merlot, 35% cabernet and 15% Petite Verdot.

Holly's Hill
The best wine at this winery only netted a C+ letter grade from me, and it was their 2007 Patriarch Blanc made from mostly roussane with a little viognier and grenache blanc. It was crisp and dry with good acidity, but it was also overpriced at $25. The other five wines I tasted all garnered C-/D's and adjectives like sweaty, stale, sweet, undistinguished, and simple. No need to bore anyone with further details.

Sierra Vista
I gave a B to a 2006 Viognier which was crisp and not perfumed, but after Holly Hill, what wouldn't taste good? Unfortunately, the compliments stop there. An 06 Roussanne was skunky like Heinekkin beer, and a 06 viognier-roussanne blend was too sweet with red apple and white peach flavors. A rose had a vinyl nose, and three reds, all 05's, were savagely green in a raw jalapeno kind of way--and this from someone who loves raw green peppers and doesn't mind a little green in her wine.

Madrona
We tasted two chards and a roussanne melange here which were all quite pleasant but also quite simple (not that there's not a market for that). An 04 nebbiolo was tart and light bodied, and and an 04 Cab was a lighter style but pleasant, if a little green. Their best wine of the few we tasted from their large list was an 05 Zin which was very fresh and full of zinberry flavors, but that wasn't enough to erase the overall amateurish impression the rest of the line made.

Lava Cap
Here we liked the 07 Reserve Chard at $18 and also an 06 Reserve Viognier ($28), but the wines were served ice cold which, we suspected, might have been to disguise low acidity, and for the area we thought the prices high. An 05 Reserve Zin seemed too reserved, and an 04 Reserve Cab had big tannins and good cabernet character with dust and mint. I thought it would be better "when it grows into its shoes", if it can. An 04 Rocky Draw zin was quite to my liking with the same kind of mint and dust the cabernet had, but the group favorite was the budget-friendly, well-balanced and perfect for drinking right now 04 American River Blend, a tasty little $15 blend of zin, syrah and merlot. It would be fair to add that having to fight for pours at a counter double deep with Apple Festival tourists didn't make enjoying the wines easy, and it's likely that Ines and I who often find austerity attractive would have found more to like under better circumstances.

Boeger
This winery gets the Best El Dorado Winery I Never Heard Of award. After the averageness of most of the wines we'd tasted since Miraflores, the overall consistency and quality of the Boeger wines was a major and welcome surprise. Among the standouts were the 06 cab franc with spot-on pretty berry fruit punctuated with celery root, the 05 Meritage (CF/CS/PV) even though it's a lighter style than one usually associates with that combination, and an 04 Magliore. Mostly refosco with nebbiolo and cab sauv, the latter wine had unusual, love-it-or-hate-it flavors of burnt rubber, a sweet finish and big, grippy tannins. But my two favorites were the stylish 04 Milagro blend of mostly tempranillo with a little graciano and cab sauv--fabulous nose, very pretty, medium-full, unusual and distinctive--and the 04 Majeure, a CdP blend. Everybody in our group bought one or both of these wines. The only loser (of the wines we tasted) at this winery was an 06 Walker Vineyard Zinfandel which was jammy, strong and port-like.

Latcham and Granite Springs
My notes for this winery's efforts use these words over and over: huge, heavy, big oak, extracted. No need to go into details except for the one exception, which deserves a big thumbs up: the 05 Cab Franc. It's robust, ripe and not the least bit shy, but it manages somehow to not go entirely over-the-top and what's more it reigns in the alcohol at an admirable $13.8%.

Sobon
The winery cat prevented me from taking much in the way of notes during my visit, but I gave B+'s/A-'s to the 06 Old Vine Zin, 06 Fiddletown Zin, 06 ReZerve (TM) Zin and the 06 ReZerve Primitivo. All were bright, clear expressions of their fruit with a strong sense of place and house-style, and all kept the alcohol in the 14% range which is low for the area. I bought the Old Vine (which remained my favorite zin of the trip) and Primitivo.

Cedarville
You have to love this winery: two graduates of the U.C. Davis program meet, marry and open a winery together, combining the best of current technology and sustainable farming practices to manage every aspect of growing and making wine from 20 acres all by themselves. And what they produce is some of the best if not THE best wines in the area. We tasted with owner Jonathan Lachs (by appointment), and my notes are peppered with A grades and highly positive terms like sensual, serious, spicey, structured and character. We tasted the grenache, viognier and zin from 2006 and the Petite Sirah and Cabernet from 2005. The Syrah wasn't open, and none of us being syrah-heads in particular we let that go. The wines were so good and so fairly priced that I would have been happy to buy everything they make and sell, but having a space issue (we were flying home) settled for the (sensual) viognier, grenache and their cabernet whose perfect blackberry fruit sports a beguiling and irresistable Haut Medoc-like chalky minerality that one rarely encounters in California wine.

Dobra Zelmja
Here we tasted a honey-sweet viognier and then a ridiculous almost 17% syrah before deciding we were wasting both their wine and our time (the pourer was actually proud of the alcohols). Not worth mentioning except to warn others.

Terre Rouge
Since this Amador legend didn't have a tasting room last time I visited about eight-nine years ago, that they now have one and that it was open weekdays was a welcome surprise. Until we tasted the wine. Two 03's, an 01 and an 00 were among the six wines poured for us--it's as if they were doing a giant cellar cull, and these were the wines that had to go. Wouldn't have been a problem if the wines weren't tired, but several were. My notes include unfortunate adjectives like: overripe, bug spray, and 'campfire ash'. Quite a disappointment from a winery whose wines I've tasted and always liked over the years. Enough said.

Young's
I liked and purchased a bottle of the 06 Barbera, and my notes are complimentary of the 07 Roussanene (crisp, floral, stone fruit, complex), but all the other wines (zin, sangiovese, syrah and cabernet) note concern about jammy flavors and hot finishes. Most of the wines were 16%ish. That said, there was a lot of style and consistency evident here and at 14%, these could have been eyepopping.

Perry Creek
Odd little winery, though at 14,000 cases maybe not so little for the area. Some of the wines were very good and some were very bad, and it was hard to tell where the fault lay. A winemaker change about three years apparently accounted for some of it, and several of the wines had been open for two days and showed oxidation (new bottles were immediately produced), but neither of those quite explains all the problems we found. The wines were erratic as if they had no estate vineyards and/or no control over purchased fruit. What we did like, in fact love, was a what-tasted-to-me-unoaked 2007 Viognier that had an almost Texier-like delicacy, though in a lighter style than Eric would make--multi-faceted and refreshing. An 06 Syrah "Alt 2401" was also quite good--or do I mean wasn't so bad? When the wines are so hit and miss, it's hard to be sure. At the very least, it was balanced and didn't reek of American oak like their zins.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: WTN: El Dorado (CA) Wine Crawl

by Dave R » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:36 pm

Thanks for the great notes. Cedarville certainly is a gem. Mike Filigenzi took me there four years ago and I was very impressed with the quality of their wine and Jonathan's graciousness. The barrel tasting was very interesting because you could taste the same wine out of three different types of barrels and really pick out the nuances of one type of oak versus another.

I joined their mailing list and usually buy a few bottles each year. No disappointments so far.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:41 pm

Great notes Jenise. And I concur especially about Cedarville. In fact here's how much we like their wines--we've already consumed all but 3 of the bottles we bought there!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 pm

Wow - the Terre Rouge visit is surprising (and sad). I like their Syrahs.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks for your notes Jenise. After reading your post, I was inspired to open a 2004 Cedarville Zinfandel. This wine is still singing.
Odd about Holly's Hill though. I have generally liked their wines. In fact, their '05 Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah was a beautiful effort.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:51 am

I am in awe, Jenise. I am envious. What energy you have. With all those interactions, I'll bet there were stories within your stories that you can't tell. Thanks for "kibbutz." I wasn't familiar with that word. Mot juste indeed.

California feels to me like a child whom you loved dearly, of course, but who grew up into a person with a different enough personality to create distance. I am so happy I lived there and toured it with passion in the '60s. But now it fits with my No Country For Old Men archetype. I am so happy the movie came a long to move a blight into a model of new found fondness, similar to what Sideways did for me.

My father is my archetype of the archetype, because he does not reflect on the reflection; he just tells it like it is. I know I am always segueing, but I love to, so...

He is 87 and loved much of our country for what it was. He still gets shocked at the change. Here's a snippet from an email he sent me last week:

Last week, we drove up to Mt. Washington and stayed at the Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch at the base of Mt. Washington for two nights. The weather for our drive up was perfect and the fall colors were at their peak. All the peaks including Mt. Washington's summit were out in absolutely clear air. We had one full day up there to sight see and visit some of our favorite places...Franconia Notch. It used to be THE notch of the White Mountains, with high mountains on either side, the Old Man of the Mountains, the Flume gorge, lovely little ponds, and a narrow 2-lane country road winding up through the notch. Now the country road has been replaced by the divided Interstate 93 with many cars speeding through, the Old Man has collapsed into a pile of debris.

Lynn and I normally drive down to Long Island to visit my father and his wife for Thanksgiving. We are slightly younger than the 87-year-old couple. But in the next paragraph, he asked if he could drive up this year instead and spend the day at camp in the Adirondack Mountains. The Adirondacks ne chang, due to a State law that prevents it; but will change under the unremitting lobbying pressure of developers. I don’t think the man made the conscious connection, but it is nice to be able to bring him back, as you brought me back.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:47 am

Sounds like a great time, Jenise! I'm surprised that Terre Rouge didn't give you something better - I think they remain one of the two or three top wineries in Amador. Obviously, they didn't live up to that sort of expectation. I'm also a bit dismayed to hear your thoughts on Sierra Vista. I was there about a year and a half ago and while I thought they were a bit inconsistent I picked up a couple of very good and well-priced syrahs. I hope the inconsistency has not become consistency in the wrong direction.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:27 am

Jenise wrote:Miraflores
... and a 2007 Muscat Canelli with too little acidity.

Aren't most muscat canelli's rather broad?

Lava Cap

What? No Petite Sirah? This is perhaps their most expressive wine.

Cedarville

Nice to hear they still produce good bottles. Haven't had one of their wines in years, so this is reassuring.

Terre Rouge
... My notes include unfortunate adjectives like: overripe, bug spray, and 'campfire ash'. Enough said.

Eeeh. Sound wretched. Which is too bad, as I've admired their wines in the past.

Jenise, let me know if you plan to come east and do the Finger Lakes sometime. Sounds like you could need a break from high alcohol Cal-wines.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:07 am

Ines Nyby wrote:Great notes Jenise. And I concur especially about Cedarville. In fact here's how much we like their wines--we've already consumed all but 3 of the bottles we bought there!

As I was writing my notes, the thought crossed my mind that once we taste the wines we brought back, that buying from Cedarville could be an annual neccessity. Sounds like you're already there. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:12 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Sounds like a great time, Jenise! I'm surprised that Terre Rouge didn't give you something better - I think they remain one of the two or three top wineries in Amador. Obviously, they didn't live up to that sort of expectation. I'm also a bit dismayed to hear your thoughts on Sierra Vista. I was there about a year and a half ago and while I thought they were a bit inconsistent I picked up a couple of very good and well-priced syrahs. I hope the inconsistency has not become consistency in the wrong direction.

I'll bet his current wines would show well--here, it was like he was just trying to dump his losers. Here are my individual notes on what was poured:

07 Vin Gris d'Amador: Very dry, good
03 Viognier: ripe vanilla notes, impressive for age
06 Easton zin: jammy raspberry fruit, bug spray
03 Easton Barbera: tired
00 TR Noir GSM: roasted meat, campfire ash, charred and tired
01 Sierra Foothills syrah: more tannins than fruit
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:13 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Wow - the Terre Rouge visit is surprising (and sad). I like their Syrahs.

Same here. I have some of his 98's, which still drink well. But see my response to Mike F where I posted the individual notes--it was a disappointing tasting.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:46 am

Mark S wrote:What? No Petite Sirah? This is perhaps their most expressive wine.

Mark, my note on an 06 Petite Sirah follows the Rocky Draw Zin and just lists the alcohol, no other words, so it apparently didn't make a strong impression one way or the other. Which means it was probably without flaw, but if I were to a What I Learned Today essay about the whole trip, a talking point would be the failure of petite sirah--and we had so many that were really very good--to grab me. I remember standing there at Cedarville with a glass of theirs and thinking that after all those we'd had, I still hadn't gleaned exactly how one would recognize the grape in a blind tasting. It seemed that the process of identifying it would be more a process of elimination, as in "it's big and tannic, but there's no spice, no herbs, no roasted meats, so maybe it's petite sirah...."

Speaking of petite sirah, though, you remind me that I should have listed a winery named Garnet Sun. We didn't taste at the winery, but one night at dinner at a little local upscale Italian place called, I think, Bonacorta (Ines, help!), we ordered a bottle of Garnet Sun's Petite Sirah. It was very good, very balanced and delicious, bright and fresh, not simple or gobby. Anyway, I'm not sure how this came about (except that our group had more or less taken over the restaurant by this point and we had the chef and everybody out there), but suddenly, like a genie, Garnet Sun's friendly owner/winemaker materialized at our table. Someone asked him what his favorite of all his own wines were, and he said it would have to be his malbec. "Well, do you have any with you?", Beth asked. No he said. "Well go home and get some!", she instructed. And by jove he did. Events were pretty well along by then and I didn't take notes at dinner (which was too bad, there were some really good wines, including a very very good 2003 Perry Creek Walker Vineyard Zin which I forgot about until this very moment, a bottle that Ines brought), but if it was dreck (and there was dreck on the table), I'd have understood that. And it wasn't, it was very very good. Like the petite sirah, it had an appealing freshness about it with no obvious oak (I believe he said he only uses 20% new oak). I was sorry we didn't have time to seek his wines out for more impartial investigation.

Cedarville

Nice to hear they still produce good bottles. Haven't had one of their wines in years, so this is reassuring. [/quote]

If anything, they produce even better wines now. The petite sirah is now the only fruit he purchases, as his own vines are mature enough to provide the quality fruit he needs.

Terre Rouge
Eeeh. Sound wretched. Which is too bad, as I've admired their wines in the past.

I certainly expected to be more impressed.

Jenise, let me know if you plan to come east and do the Finger Lakes sometime. Sounds like you could need a break from high alcohol Cal-wines.

You've got a deal!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:56 am

Covert wrote:I am in awe, Jenise. I am envious. What energy you have. With all those interactions, I'll bet there were stories within your stories that you can't tell...California feels to me like a child whom you loved dearly, of course, but who grew up into a person with a different enough personality to create distance.

Astute guess re my relationship with California. From the area described in this tasting note, Bob and I headed further southeast with one of the other couples to spend a few nights in not just Yosemite, but the very neighborhood of 100 or so cabins that my family vacationed at every year when I was a child (it was the only vacation we ever took). Completely by accident, I actually booked one of the EXACT cabins we'd stayed in all those years ago. I could write a book about what it felt like to walk back through that door after all this time, and then there was this amazing lunch at a Mobil gas station (the world's only gourmet gas station?) on highway 395 two days later, and the search for a decent dinner in Carson City, Nevada....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:03 pm

Shaji M wrote:Odd about Holly's Hill though. I have generally liked their wines. In fact, their '05 Wylie-Fenaughty Syrah was a beautiful effort.

REALLY? I only tasted six wines there, but none showed promise. The 06 Grenache was "odd, stale strawberry, light bodied C-/D". The 06 Patriarch Red, a GSM blend that should be listed MSG to properly note the order of constituency, as "light, sweet, undistinguished". An 06 Mouvedre was "peppery but light, sweet and simple, C-", an 04 Zin got another C- grape and all I wrote for that was "sweet, simple". Too little promise there to bother investing in the reserve line. And the rest of the group reacted similarly, except for the one couple who are drawn to fruit forward wines and who never mind high alcohol. They bought a case. :)
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Nice Notes

by TomHill » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Nice/thorough notes, Jenise. I'm surprised the Miraflores wines wern't better. Marc made some stunning wines over at Swanson. And you're right about Cedarville; probably the best wines made in ElDorado.
ElDorado is a bit like Mendocino. The best/most profound wines are made by people outside the county. That would be EdmundsStJohn and Donkey&Goat.
Tom
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Jenise said:
Speaking of petite sirah, though, you remind me that I should have listed a winery named Garnet Sun. We didn't taste at the winery, but one night at dinner at a little local upscale Italian place called, I think, Bonacorta (Ines, help!), we ordered a bottle of Garnet Sun's Petite Sirah. It was very good, very balanced and delicious, bright and fresh in a fruit juice kind of way but not simple or gobby.

(I'm still not sure I have this quote function down properly, but oh well...) Re Garnet Sun, the winemaker is Michael Beem, and I'm sure he will be pleased to read your comments about his wines, if you don't mind. (I'll email him). I thought his wines were fresh and lively, with a pure-fruit and varietal edge that reminded me of some delicious house wines in Portugal. I don't think I'd cellar those wines for long. I especially liked his malbec, but then again, it was the end of a very long, wine-y day and maybe the verve of the wine was energizing.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:
(I'm still not sure I have this quote function down properly, but oh well...) Re Garnet Sun, the winemaker is Michael Beem, and I'm sure he will be pleased to read your comments about his wines, if you don't mind. (I'll email him). I thought his wines were fresh and lively, with a pure-fruit and varietal edge that reminded me of some delicious house wines in Portugal. I don't think I'd cellar those wines for long. I especially liked his malbec, but then again, it was the end of a very long, wine-y day and maybe the verve of the wine was energizing.

He gave me his card too, but somehow I didn't get home with it so yes, please email him. I remembered 'Michael' but was unsure of his last name.
I like the way you describe his wines: 'pure' and 'energizing' are good descriptors. Of all the wines on the table that night, I liked my Thackeray, your Karly and Perry Creek, and little else. I certainly didn't care for S & J's Paso wines, or those modern-monster Italians the proprietors pulled out. So when Michael's wines arrived, they were like the water mirage in the desert--except they were real!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Nice Notes

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:53 pm

TomHill wrote:Nice/thorough notes, Jenise. I'm surprised the Miraflores wines wern't better. Marc made some stunning wines over at Swanson. And you're right about Cedarville; probably the best wines made in ElDorado.
ElDorado is a bit like Mendocino. The best/most profound wines are made by people outside the county. That would be EdmundsStJohn and Donkey&Goat.
Tom

Hey, I must not have stated myself well, because I actually thought the Miraflores wines were very very good overall. It's just that some weren't as good as others.

I really must get some of Steve's wines to compare while I have the El Dorado taste fresh in my head. And...Donkey and Goat? New name to me--where are they based?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

by TomHill » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:55 pm

Jenise wrote:Hey, I must not have stated myself well, because I actually thought the Miraflores wines were very very good overall. It's just that some weren't as good as others.

Nope, Jenise...you stated yourself well and I understood that you mostly liked the wines. But...based on what he did at Swanson...I would have expected the wines to be spectacular.

I really must get some of Steve's wines to compare while I have the El Dorado taste fresh in my head. And...Donkey and Goat? New name to me--where are they based?

Donkey & Goat is Tacey & Jared Brandt http://www.adonkeyandgoat.com/news.htm, based in Berkeley. Pretty small operation, but I like their wines quite a bit. Great people.
I'd have to say Steve's ElDorado Syrahs are about the greatest wines ever to come from ElDorado grapes.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:01 pm

TomHill wrote:I'd have to say Steve's ElDorado Syrahs are about the greatest wines ever to come from ElDorado grapes.
Tom

I have no doubt. I've had them and been totally impressed, but never owned (because it's all I ran into at retail) other than the California and Bassetti (Paso) versions. I've been totally remiss in thinking I'd run into more instead of just buckling down and ordering direct.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Jenise,
Sorry some of the wines/wineries disappointed but the bright side is that we get to see descriptors like "bug spray" and "campfire ash."
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:43 pm

You could probably use the same description to describe the Rombauer chard.
You were close to the real wine country, Hoke and I could have found something you would have liked to drink. :roll: