The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '00 Rocks and Gravel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: '00 Rocks and Gravel

by wrcstl » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:37 am

Not to beat a dead horse but had this last night with pozole and really liked it. Reminded me of Otis Redding; wait, someone else has already said that. I was expecting something a little more rustic since I assumed it was a Southern Rhone Blend. Believe it is actually a grenach/syrah blend and I felt the syrah dominated. Deep dark red, very smooth with a really long finish. A lot going on with this wine but like most good drinks, nothing dominated, just lots of parts playing well together. I could easily drink this wine a couple nights a week. Bad news is that was my last bottle and you really need 5-10 years for most of Steve's serious wines, at least IMO.
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '00 Rocks and Gravel

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:41 am

Well if you need 5-10 then the 2003 R&G should be just coming into its own. If I can find mine I will open one & let you know.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:47 am

Can you get older ESJ anywhere? I have a daughter in SC and I believe she can accept shipments. Of course I have to worry about the carrying charges.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:06 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Can you get older ESJ anywhere? I have a daughter in SC and I believe she can accept shipments. Of course I have to worry about the carrying charges.

Check MacArthur Beverage. I picked up a bottle of 1997 Parmelee-Hill Vineyard Syrah when I was there a few weeks past. There was more on the shelf. Unfortunately my bottle was corked.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:46 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Can you get older ESJ anywhere? I have a daughter in SC

SC= Santa Cruz??

I find Steve's wines can languish far longer on the shelves of stores than other CA wines, for some odd reason. What's nice about this when you find them is that the store has become your own personal wine cellar and the wines are (usually) ready to drink. Of course, many of his wines have weird distribution and are not always easy to find.
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:09 pm

Mark S wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Can you get older ESJ anywhere? I have a daughter in SC

SC= Santa Cruz??

I find Steve's wines can languish far longer on the shelves of stores than other CA wines, for some odd reason. What's nice about this when you find them is that the store has become your own personal wine cellar and the wines are (usually) ready to drink. Of course, many of his wines have weird distribution and are not always easy to find.

What can I say? I'm a weird guy! :D (If there's a wine you can't find, let me know,and who knows, maybe we can figure it out.)
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:53 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Can you get older ESJ anywhere? I have a daughter in SC and I believe she can accept shipments. Of course I have to worry about the carrying charges.

Check MacArthur Beverage. I picked up a bottle of 1997 Parmelee-Hill Vineyard Syrah when I was there a few weeks past. There was more on the shelf. Unfortunately my bottle was corked.

Thanks Brian!

SC = South Carolina according to the postal service
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.