The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Fiano on Tap!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Fiano on Tap!

by Hoke » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:59 am

Went to Napa this weekend and stopped off by the (relatively) new Oxbow Public Market and adjoining Oxbow Wine Store/Cheese Shop.

Some nice selections. Bit high on the markups; on the other hand there were plenty of $20 and Under bargain selections too.

Cheese shop was lovely. Could easily spend a solid portion of my paycheck in there. Case in point: they had SooYoung Scanlon's cheeses (all three!) in stock. You almost never see that. Plus they had stuff like the Bayley Hazen Blue from New England! (If you haven't, you should.) Goooood cheese shop.

Settled in at the tasting bar for a light lunch that didn't turn out so light. Had a remarkably fine "elite" grilled cheese sandwich, with Shelburne Cheddar and a gouda melted betwixt buttered and grilled sourdough. Oh, yum. Also had an Italian style tomato with vegetable soup, made from San Marzano tomatoes, with lightly blanched, crisp veggies julienned in, and topped with a little dollop of olive oil and pesto. Again, yum. Also had a nice pate of smoked trout with pickled onions and sourdough on one side, garlicky toast on the other.

Nice wide ranging by the taste/by the glass/by the bottle selection too. Several pages. Well informed, perky, and helpful staff.

Wife had a Friuli Pinot Grigio. But as soon as I spotted it, I knew I had to have a glass of Fiano On Tap!!! Turns out when they set the place up, they played with the idea of having a wine or two on the dispenser system. The owner of Chimney Rock had been playing around with three rows of Fiano on a slope site....soooo, one thing led to another, and Oxbow got a small kegger of Fiano.

And the stuff was great! It really was. Little whiff of Marcona almonds in the nose, nice lean citrusy middle, and a hit of lime, at the end. With a whisper of something...oh, let's just say green. But almost like a lemongrass kind of green. Anyway, that's as close as I can get. Pretty damned impressive though, and yet another smoking gun for those who have been yammering at growers that the North Coast wine regions should play around more with Central and Southern italy varieties. (Um, and that would be ME.)

So go to Oxbow. Try a little Fiano on tap. Chill. Then say something appropriate, like, "Is this a great country, or what?"

(Beter not wait too long though. With only three rows, there's not a lot to be had. And it can only be had there.)
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Fiano on Tap!

by Lou Kessler » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:56 pm

We leave town and you resort to slumming again.
The cheese shop is really a good one. I've already made a mental note to avoid the temptation while carrying a credit card. Back in town, but still a few time zones away. :?
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm

Hoke; I think it's great that people are finally beginning to grow some grapes in Napa that actually make sense (heh, heh...) but I got a feeling the Fiano I drank in Rome a few days ago was probably much more advantageously priced, and likely as good, maybe better.
Lou, how was your trip? Sorry we couldn't connect in Rome. The Colosseum just wasn't the same without you. At least I assume that's true.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Lou: We were asking each other this weekend "Are Lou and BL back yet, ya think?"

Glad to see you've safely returned, and expect to hear good stories of your travels.

Yeah, that cheese shop is a winner, for sure. You just need to stay away from Folio in the Market; your doctor said you need to avoid Napa Cult Wine (TM). Gotta watch the blood pressure. We should rendezvous over there sometime and hit Pico Pico, which looked intriguing. Venezualan Fast Food---who knew?

Steve: If it's Napa, you know it won't be a bargain. 8) Still, decently priced in that I thought it was a reasonable price for the experience. Still favor a Campanian, sure---but then I'm a sucker for Fiano, Falanghina and Greco anyway. Also still a fan of David Noyes' faux-Italian Friulano, with his 2007 out now. You should try it.

We were lucky at Oxbow, in that the ever urbane and genteel primary owner/partner was there that afternoon, and we had a long and pleasant conversation during our lunch.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:46 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Lou, how was your trip? Sorry we couldn't connect in Rome. The Colosseum just wasn't the same without you. At least I assume that's true.

They remember me well there, I won six consecutive contests against Right Wing Christian lions. :twisted: