The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2002 Clos Roche Blanc Gamay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Wanninger

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:34 am

TN: 2002 Clos Roche Blanc Gamay

by Dave Wanninger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Burgundyish color with an older, more orange than I expected. I bumped this one a bit before opening, so the minimal sediment got stirred up and made the wine a bit cloudy. Brown spice and cherry on the nose. Cherry and cranberry fruit, still zippy acid, but the green tastes of my previous bottle 2 years ago have mellowed into more autumn browns. Light bodied but a very nice mouthful of flavor, finishing with some prune plum astringency and balsa wood dustiness. I like this a lot more than I did what it was younger - the green stemminess has mellowed out. Delicious with roast chicken and root vegetables, but just as tasty two hours later. Real good wine.

Dave
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: TN: 2002 Clos Roche Blanc Gamay

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:48 pm

Dave Wanninger wrote:I like this a lot more than I did what it was younger - the green stemminess has mellowed out.

Glad to hear it. Sounds interesting. I had a few bottles on release but didn't like that greenness either which is why I wouldn't have thought to age it (or buy it again).

But, sounds like your strategy paid off. And, from your excitement over the brownish balsa wood it sounds like you enjoy 'aged' wine :D
no avatar
User

Dave Wanninger

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:34 am

Re: TN: 2002 Clos Roche Blanc Gamay

by Dave Wanninger » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:00 pm

Depends on both the age and the wine, to be sure. I thought this wine was hard to enjoy when young, but the acid would help it last. I think the fruit has held up well.