The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

My team comes 4th again in the annual Blind Team Challenge!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

My team comes 4th again in the annual Blind Team Challenge!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:50 am

Well, my team had a bit of an off-night! 3 servers from the Grill constituted my team but we were rather stumped on the last 2 round of red wine questions. We came 4th out of 6 teams and last years team of wine reps came first (by the narrowest of margins) for the 3rd year running! Second place went to a team of local winestore managers, third were some customers from local area and my team came in rather a distant 4th!

There was three rounds of questions on the 3 whites served and four rounds on the four reds tasted. The wines turned out to be.....>

`05 Burge Family Olive Hill Semillon, Barossa.
`05 Rosemount Roxburgh Chardonnay, Hunter V.
`06 Chablis 1er Cru, Cote de Leclet, Defaix.

`05 EQ Pinot Noir Matetic Vineyards, Chile.
`06 Seghesio Cortina Zinfandel, Sonoma.
`03 Travaglini Gattinara.
`97 Radici Taurasi Mastroberardino.

I surmised to my team initially that all 3 whites could be Chardonnay but we all disagreed. One does not have to agree as a team, each member scores individual points. The second white I thought was a Verdelho!
The reds were tougher. Wine #2 I thought was a Malbec from Argentina but we did guess Italy for #3/4. We were way out on our selections however, going from Chianti to Tuscany and Barolo!

WOTN for many was the Gattinara (a WS top 100) and the semillon was terrific. Rosemount was a bust and fell apart in the glass.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: My team comes 4th again in the annual Blind Team Challenge!

by John S » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:39 pm

The Basossa semillion would be a toughie blind! As would the Tausasi. Of course, it's always hard with blind tastings!

I remember my first such event, when I first started drinking wine about 20 years ago. I, a lowly, new member of a wine group, aced the whites wines, and was pretty proud of myself as our group being #1 at the turn. Alas, the red wines completely stumped me, and we ended up near the bottom of the pile. Such is life, and there's always next year!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: My team comes 4th again in the annual Blind Team Challenge!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Yeah John, one does not have a clue whats in the glass eh. Two years ago, the reds were all shiraz blends. Very clever I thought afterwards...but not as wines were announced!!
This Gattinara is one to look out for John...... and the Semillon.