The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tyrell, Tignanello, Melchor, Taylors

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Tyrell, Tignanello, Melchor, Taylors

by Bill Spohn » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:06 pm

Monthly lunch notes (blind tasting)

2006 Sauvignon Republic Russian River Valley – these are the SB fanatics that make SB in several parts of the world using the same winemaker and techniques. A huge difference between these two wines. This one, I didn’t much like at all. Tropical sweet fruit but with a marked cheesy (some said dog food) component, soft and with some RS in the mouth, not the sort of crisp, balanced SB I prefer.

2005 Sauvignon Republic Stellenbosch – tangy clean SB style nose, lots of acidity and a bit to far on the austere side for me (I know, I’m hard to please).

1996 Piper Heidsieck Brut – this was really quite nice! Clean young nose, smooth in the mouth.

1999 Tyrells Vat 47 Pinot Chardonnay – showing a bit of colour, nice citrus nose that also followed through on palate, some toast, good length. Very nice.

1994 Tignanello – I was interested to see them heading right for France with this one. Medium colour, with a nice somewhat spicy nose, mellow, smooth and elegant with only hints of soft tannin. Should drink well over the next 5 years but perfect now.

1980 Backsberg Estate Cabernet – this Cape wine came across as a light coloured wine with a hint of mint in the nose, and a bit of sweet berry, simple on palate and on the downslide. Remarkable it had held up so well.

1998 Guigal Cote Rotie Brun et Blonde – dark wine, raw bacon nose with white pepper, tight and still a bit tannic, but drinking well now.

1998 Ch. Jean de Gué (Lalande de Pomerol) – this modest Bordeaux was showing good depth of fruit, and a slightly funky earthy nose. Drinking well now with good fruit in th mouth.

2002 Dom. Trintignant CNduP – not a common Chateauneuf around these parts. Pepper, fruit and cheese in the nose, then a surprisingly smooth medium bodied wine as it slid down. Just the thing for an afternoon tipple.

1997 Concha Y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet – slightly elastoplast nose that later became minty, good concentration and length, fairly extracted. Nice.

2002 Concha Y Toro Don Melchor Cabernet – big cocoa nose on this one, smooth, with decent length, finishing quite dry. Very different from the other vintage.

1970 Taylors Port – smooth excellent nose, not too hot, the wine somewhat sweet, just enough for my thoughts to be heading for Grahams. Excellent colour, quite dark, very smooth and drinking perfectly right now, a truly excellent Port at the peak of it’s life, but it will last a long time yet.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Tyrell, Tignanello, Melchor, Taylors

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:21 pm

You always have such great wines at your monthly lunches. Do you meet in a BYO restaurant or in someone's home?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:47 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:You always have such great wines at your monthly lunches. Do you meet in a BYO restaurant or in someone's home?

We meet at the same restaurant, and we don't order food, the proprietor just looks at the wines and comes up with a meal.

Yesterday it was lobster terrine with a bean puree, then matsutake mushrooms in a Madeira sauce, followed by beef short ribs with white beans and a cheese plate.

Jenise probably keeps track of the food better than I do, but she was AWOL yesterday, so can't back me up on the details of what we ate.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Which restaurant?
Last edited by Bruce Hayes on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:43 pm

Bruce Hayes wrote:Whic restaurant?

Can't say.

Possible liquor violations prevent it.
no avatar
User

David N

Rank

Wine geek

Thu May 01, 2008 11:49 pm

by David N » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:53 pm

A couple of comments to supplement Bill's notes:
2006 S.B Russian River. Made me think back to Thomas Hobbes -"nasty, brutish and short". It steadily got worse as it sat in the glass!
2005 S. B Stellenbosch. Had me going to New Zealand, with definite gooseberry nose and flavours. Good, but probably not good enough to tempt me to buy.
Piper-Heidsieck Brut 1996 (not 1999). Excellent showing. Biscuit and mild yeast flavours and a nice mousse. For me, this was at the ideal stage for Champagne where it was showing good secondary development, while retaining freshness of fruit.
Taylors 1970. Great Port. As good as it gets. Fully mature, but with many years ahead of it.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:49 pm

Thanks for the correction on the Piper vintage. This house doesn't get much attention, but I usually like it. I think I still have a half case of their 1990 'Rare' cuvee.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Yesterday it was lobster terrine with a bean puree, then matsutake mushrooms in a Madeira sauce, followed by beef short ribs with white beans and a cheese plate. Jenise probably keeps track of the food better than I do, but she was AWOL yesterday...

And where's my doggy bag??? HMMM?

Were the two Melchors coincidence?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:10 pm

No, one was brought by a member and the other tossed in by our host (as were the two SB at the beginning).

See, I told you I'd leave the old Bordeaux at home in your absence (mine was the Tignanello) :lol: