The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Old World

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Old World

by Mark S » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:33 am

Enjoying beautiful Indian Summer weather here in Central New York, with the sun bringing highlights to the autumn leaves falling down around me. Also drinking wines none of which disapoint, and how can one be unhappy?

Vieux Chateau Certan, Pomerol, 1986
This is drinking much better than a bottle opened circa 2002. What was reticent backwardness has blossomed into ancient bottle aromas of spices: clove, cardamom, cinnamon, and smoked paprika. Plums, hawthorn, and a nettle/sorrel component come out in the mouth. The muted aged flavors with the patina of bottle age make for a rewarding drink. 12.5% A-

Alain Michaud, Brouilly, 'Prestige de Vielles Vignes', 2005
With all the folks on this and other boards drinking up their stash of 2005 Beaujolais, thought I would start in as well. The color is still a youthful light purplish-tinted ruby. Sulfurous iodine and sea plums waft from the nose, with a plummy iodine and salty tang of oyster shell and glycerin on the finish. Good, but better the first day. 13% A-/B+

Prunnotto, Barolo, 'Bussia', 1990
Also showing better than a bottle tasted earlier, but I've never warmed up to Prunnotto's style, which to me tends toward the brawny, muscular style of Barolo treated with oak. There is fruit pit here (cherry & apricot), licorice root, and cherry prune juice and some stink on the finish, along with worn football. The tannins are still prominent. B+

Pepiere, Muscadet, 'Clos des Briords', 2004
The usual goodness: oyster shell, herbal aromatics (tarragon/rosemary). Exquisite, although I would love to see a lower alcohol level to see what would result. 12% Only surpassed by the 2002. A-

Lopez de Heredia, Vina Tondonia, Rioja - Reserva, 1996
Light transparent red. Coconut-lime and light cherry aromatics. Bright acidity, raspberry and cherry juice, this feels light and refreshing. 12.5% B+

Domaine de la Chanteleuserie, Bourgueil, 'cuvee Beauvais', 2005
Dark purplish red. Lots of stemmy red fruit here, with smoke, talc, and cooking chocolate along with leaf elements. Good now, but would like to retaste in 1-2 years when the stems recede. Better profile here than a 2004 Baudry 'Grezeaux' within the last month. Of course, ripe(r) years prejudice me. B+ Not bad for the price, either (aound 14-15$).