The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Rolland, Brun, CalPN, and Prosecco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Rolland, Brun, CalPN, and Prosecco

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:39 am

After dealing with some minor wounded dog trauma (how could anyone bite those cute ears?) , we walked a few blocks to friends for dinner. The food was really excellent- a shrimp/cheese warm canape, a small course of pasta Bolognese, and then frisee topped with grilled octupus (boiled in wine the day before- they said recipe had them add a few corks to help keep from being tough- anyone heard of that?) over frisee with some spinach on side. Ended with some cheese.

The wines:
NV Zardetto Prosecco
I know this is a huge producer, but they seem to consistently turn out a decent product. Fairly aggressive mousse, good acidity, light apple and melon fruit. No yeastiness, more clean than complex, but quite enjoyable. B

2006 Stephen Vincent "Four Sisters" Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Thin, sharp, and woody at first. Fills out, dark berry and cola with some vanilla. The acidity seems a bit disjoined/out-a-whack. New producer to me, I won't be looking for any. B-/C+

2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc
I just love this stuff (our hosts are mainly red drinkers, don't think this converted them). Clean crisp Chardonnay fruit, no apparent oak, chalky minerality on finish, a great ringer for a Chablis tasting. Great value ($12), very good wine. B+

2005 Clos de la Siete (by Michel Rolland)
Big heavy bottle, big heavy wine. Ripe almost uberripe dark fruit, oak, quite tannic. I'm a little surprised - the sweetness says Rolland, but it doesn't have that plush texture. Certainly no lack of fruit, but too tannic and hard for me. I'm sure others will like much more. B-/C+

Fun night with friends.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Rolland, Brun, CalPN, and Prosecco

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:23 am

Dale Williams wrote:2007 JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc Great value ($12)..

Nice to see the price remaining low.
no avatar
User

Jacques Levy

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:00 pm

NY

Re: WTN: Rolland, Brun, CalPN, and Prosecco

by Jacques Levy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:31 am

Dale Williams wrote:they said recipe had them add a few corks to help keep from being tough- anyone heard of that?).

The one time I boiled octopus, I also added corks to (allegedly) tenderize the meat. It didn't help. Since then I have only eaten octopi in restaurants.
Best Regards

Jacques