The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Outta here

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Outta here

by Florida Jim » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:06 pm

So, it’s back to the west coast for the syrah harvest; finally the weather has warmed and kicked the sugar levels up. The fruit looks good and tastes even better; we should have deep wines this year.
A couple of bottles tasted this week deserve a comment:

2006 Overnoy, Arbois Pupillin:
I don’t know how anyone can do a better job with poulsard; this wine is translucent, aromatic, flavorful and perfectly balanced. With risotto Milanese it was just the thing – ‘cuts the richness but never overwhelms the saffron aromas and flavors – what a delight. And it has all the markings of wine that will cellar well. Finest kind.

2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos:
Most of Steve’s wines are examples of purity; here a CdP blend is focused, balanced and flavorful yet restrained. Accompanies our meal with nuance and counterpoint but never overpowers it. The way wine should be.

2005 Philippe Faury, Saint Joseph:
Good, earthy syrah that is not “too” anything but has plenty of complexity and poise. Elegant in delivery yet still intense and structured. An archetype for the AOC.

1998 Veiux Telegraph, CdP:
Could use some more time . . . but as long as it’s open; firm, earthy, complex and satin textured. Good length, too. Funny; I loved this wine on release and since then, not so much. But I have the feeling it’s getting there, gradually.

1999 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Murto Reserve:
This has always had a lovely nose – cherries, flint, underbrush, a touch of spice; well integrated in the mouth and the texture of silk, great pinot flavors that mimic the nose, good concentration, acidity and depth; better than average length. This is coming into its own and was ideal with salmon.

1996 Chateau Lynch Bages:
In its early days, it was very Napa in style; it has crossed the ocean and is now quintessential Bordeaux; earth-driven on the with cassis, pencil shavings and stone elements; much the same on the palate as the sweet fruit flavors have receded and now are simply an element of the profile, good concentration, developing complexity, considerable tannin, nice balance and substantial length. The development of this wine has been a joy to experience; and certainly, the change has been dramatic. Still pretty young by Bordeaux standards. Superb with cheese.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: Lynch bages

by Mark S » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:31 am

Huh? Bordeaux? I didn't think you drank that stuff anymore.
I'll chalk it up to your catholic tastes. Good to hear that New World styled Bordeaux can
revert back to the Old Country.

Good luck on your wines this year!

Mark
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Outta here

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:41 am

Safe travels, and happy harvest.
Thanks for notes. Have you tried the '01 Murto Reserve? Have a lone bottle and wondering on timing.
Trying to save my last couple '96 LBages.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:57 am

As always, your list of tasted wines is mouthwatering. I would kill for some Overnoy, but the only thing we can get (not that I am complaining) is Puffeney and Tissot. I loved the St. Joseph, also.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:48 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Have you tried the '01 Murto Reserve?

I have not.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:52 pm

I am going to disagree that the '96 Lynch Bages was ever anything like a Napa styled wine. Was it hard and austere on release? No. But it was never anything other than Bordeaux.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:44 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I am going to disagree that the '96 Lynch Bages was ever anything like a Napa styled wine. Was it hard and austere on release? No. But it was never anything other than Bordeaux.

Fair enough.
Just not the ones I'm used to (the limited number that they are).
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:56 pm

Nice to see the 2001 LRV is holding up nicely. I believe I still have 3 or 4 in the cellar.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!