The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Guigal Ex Voto Blanc 01, Beringer PR CS 01

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Guigal Ex Voto Blanc 01, Beringer PR CS 01

by Jay Labrador » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:38 am

Invited to another boozy lunch today but the invite came a bit late so I skipped the lunch but showed up anyway for a taste of the booze before heading to an appointment close to the restaurant.

Guigal Ex Voto Blanc 2001 - I'm not a big fan of Rhone whites and this did not change my mind. Deep gold, Sauternes-like color. Seemed prematurely aged although the provenance of the bottle was good. Smells sweet and floral but it is a dry wine. Quite rich and silky. It's very hard to describe the flavor. I remember a few years back trying the dry wine of de Bortoli Noble One; sort of a dry Sauternes, I suppose like Yquem's Ygrec. The Ex Voto Blanc was in the same general style. Strange, over the top style of wine.

Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2001 - Inky wine. Very nice nose. Meaty.Some earthiness, dried herbs. Good balance. I appreciate the acidity in this wine which cuts through the richness and gives it some freshness. Youthful wine but approachable. Very good now but likely to be excellent in 3 years or so.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Guigal Ex Voto Blanc 01, Beringer PR CS 01

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:20 pm

I do not get the Ex Voto bottlings. To me they are caricatures of Hermitage.

Beringer PR is a wine that should never have fallen out of favor (except perhaps due to price).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Frank Drew

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Virginia

by Frank Drew » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:02 pm

David,

Have you tried the red Ex Voto? I've never had either the red or white from any vintage but do have a bottle of the 2001 red and don't know quite what to expect. Is it a caricature as in overextracted, or too oaky?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:09 pm

I've had the 2001 Red. It's really oaky (what young Guigal isn't?) and extreme. Of course it could age into something. I really have no idea.
Decisions are made by those who show up