The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 03 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: 03 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese

by Salil » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 pm

After opening a bottle of this a few weeks ago and loving every drop of it, I popped another open this weekend. After having a glass and a bit over a few nights, I'm down to the end of the bottle - and after 4 or 5 days in the fridge it's still going strong.

Gorgeous aromatics that hit you the moment you start pouring into the glass. Pink grapefruit, mango, pineapple, apple and a whole lot more - just a whole lot of very ripe, forward fruit here and plenty of complexity that makes it hard to pull your nose away from this. In the mouth very ripe and sweet with low acidity and a creamy, rich texture, with the mango, pineapple and red apple flavours dominating (particularly after it's been open a few days) and some spice and sage notes underneath. Very long finish with the mango and apple flavours refusing to quit and just lingering on in the back of the mouth. Absolutely delicious.

(Right, I'm now a believer in Scheu. God help my poor wallet.)
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

Re: WTN: 03 Muller-Catoir Haardter Mandelring Scheurebe Spatlese

by ChaimShraga » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:34 am

Hi,

I guess this is as goos an opportunity as any to make my first post.

I love Schuerebe too. In fact, I have a sole bottle of the 2004 that I'm avoiding opening as I don't want to say goodbye. I do remember it had higher acidity than your notes indicate but that's 2004 vs. 2003 for you.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:52 am

It's the mango aromatics/flavors that tell me I am drinking great Scheurebe. When Scheurebe is not made well there's an essence of unripe pineapple that has been pissed on by a feral cat.

Catoir obviously does well. Pfeffingen is another fine producer of Scheurebe, as are Darting and Lingenfelder. There's others, but that's the short list.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

ChaimShraga

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am

Tel-Aviv, Israel

by ChaimShraga » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:37 am

David M. Bueker wrote:It's the mango aromatics/flavors that tell me I am drinking great Scheurebe.

Guayava is the tell-tale sign for me.
Positive Discrimination For White Wines!
http://2GrandCru.blogspot.com