The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Collecting a Better Investment than Real Estate?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Wine Collecting a Better Investment than Real Estate?

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:19 pm

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081015.l-decanter15/BNStory/lifeMain

Interesting that they think the 82 Lafite sells for more than the more highly reviewed 82 Latour because Asian buyers have less trouble pronouncing the name....
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Wine Collecting a Better Investment than Real Estate?

by David Creighton » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:12 pm

when real estate is going up it is probably a better investment; when wine is going up, it is better. when the both go up and down - which they always do - it depends on which floor you get on.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: Wine Collecting a Better Investment than Real Estate?

by Tim York » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:18 am

I don't believe that the prices of trophy wines would be immune from the effects of a deep worldwide recession. Some currently wealthy wine-lovers would go bankrupt and have to unload their assets, including their cellars. It all depends on the depth, length and geographical extent of the recession. I believe that those who pile into the trophy wine market now could well regret it bitterly in a year or two (particularly if ease of pronunciation is an important consideration in choice).

What I describe happened in the 70s. The present Asian interest in wine could provide a cushion to wine prices this time, if Asia is not too badly affected by the downturn.
Tim York