The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Beaujolais & White CnP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

WTN: Beaujolais & White CnP

by wrcstl » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Had a picnic in the country with a group of friends and opened 8 interesting wines, 7 of the 8 were very good and only a '97 white Burg was dissapointing and not drank. The two standouts to me were:
'94 Vieux Telegraph - Blanc - Was afraid this would be over-the-hill but wasn't even close. It had rounded edges but a bright fresh taste with years to go. Lots of melon, soft, with a nice long finish. This was bought at auction about 8 years ago when I though I was buying the red, guess I should have paid more attention but am glad it worked out this way. This is the last of 6 bottles
'05 Beaujolais Morgon Cote du Py Foillard - This is a Kermit Lynch wine. Large, tightly woven but integrated and great dark fruit with a hint of ripeness. Easy to enjoy but will only get better. This wine will easily go 10+ more years. I spent lots of time looking for more bottles and came up with nothing.
Walt
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Beaujolais & White CnP

by Rahsaan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:18 pm

wrcstl wrote:'05 Beaujolais Morgon Cote du Py Foillard - This wine will easily go 10+ more years...Walt

I've never had one that old and would be interested to taste it considering how fragile the wines often seem in youth.

That said, the 2005 was so rich and thick, it seems to have plenty of 'body' and although I haven't had a bottle in over a year, I'm sure it is still very very delicious.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:32 am

wrcstl wrote: The two standouts to me were:
'94 Vieux Telegraph - Blanc - Was afraid this would be over-the-hill but wasn't even close. It had rounded edges but a bright fresh taste with years to go. Lots of melon, soft, with a nice long finish. This was bought at auction about 8 years ago when I though I was buying the red, guess I should have paid more attention but am glad it worked out this way.

Good white Chateauneuf gets little respect, but as you know, good aged examples are a beauty to behold. Too bad the good are few and far between from the average...
Sounds nice.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:14 pm

I agree with you re: the Foillard-and the difficulty of finding more of it on the market :(
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach