The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A run of good luck

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

WTN: A run of good luck

by John Treder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:03 am

I've had some very tasty bottles over the last week or so. Sometimes I just get lucky.
Last Saturday with our weekly spaghetti dinner, I opened bottle of David Coffaro Carignan, 2004. Medium weight, between Zin and Sangiovese in sharpness, medium purple color, nice and even and smooth. Maybe it's cassis- never tasted it – but between Zinnish berry fruit and Chiantian cherry fruit, there's a sort of sour-ripe thing I sometimes find in French wine. This isn't French, however, it's redolent of Dry Creek Valley. Thoroughly enjoyable! Estate Bottled, Unfiltered, Unfined, 14.7% alcohol, 100% Carignan, 290 cases, $12.50.
Sunday night was grilled lamb chops. Syrah is a great match, almost a requirement with lamb chops, for me. Sunce Field of Dreams Vineyard, San Francisco Bay, Syrah, 2003 filled the bill very well. So good I had another glass after dinner! Dark velvety purple, fully dense, mature tannins, very muted pepper, but distinctly Syrah. Goes down super smooth, longer than my first bottle in November '05. Doesn't taste young any more, and it isn't old yet. 12 barrels made, bought at the winery, 13.8% alcohol, $24.00. Getting a bit pricey but the satisfaction is worth it to me.
My brother Jeff came down for a visit and we had dinner this evening with my brother Steve. I brought over a bottle of Aliança Vinho Verde (non-vintage) to have while we were chatting. A pleasant, fruity, light wine with a bit of something like cardamom in the taste. Good value for $6.99 at BevMo. 9% alcohol.
Dinner was a chicken saute that Steve's wife Pam found in the newspaper (it was good!) Steve likes CalChard and, for that matter, so do I. Joseph Swan Trenton Estate Vineyard, Russian River Valley, Chardonnay, 2006 worked wonders. Jeff (no wine buff) said, "Wow! This is Good!" Eyeing the empty bottle after dinner, Steve said, "I suppose it might have been better." We have a family thing about such statements, and I knew what he meant. 8) Oak and malo and surprisingly reminiscent of Chablis, perhaps because of the firm under-structure. Very ripe, very spicy with a cinnamon and cloves sort of taste, notably tart without being citrusy.
I forgot to mention a moment ago - the word I came up with in conversation was "buff", as in Malibu Beach.
A remarkable wine that isn't “just like” anything else I've ever had. I said "reminiscent," but it didn't overtly taste anything like Chablis, except for the firm stony solidity underlying every sip. I can still recall the taste even after the pear pie we had for dessert. Plenty long.
13.9% alcohol, bought at the winery, $32.40. Top price and worth every penny. A wine I'll remember.

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: A run of good luck

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:21 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:Oak and malo and surprisingly reminiscent of Chablis...

Regardless of the qualifiers that come later, that is one statement I never, ever thought I would see. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:31 am

Heh, heh, heh! Of course, not all Chablis are unoaked!

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:37 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:Heh, heh, heh! Of course, not all Chablis are unoaked!

John

Nope. Just the good ones. :twisted:
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:29 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
John - Santa Clara wrote:Heh, heh, heh! Of course, not all Chablis are unoaked!

John

Nope. Just the good ones. :twisted:

David is just being mean but have to agree with him. Never had a good Chablis, and probably not any Chablis, that had oak and malo, at least not dominate. This is why Chablis is the only Chardonnay my wife and I drink.
Walt
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:59 pm

I will make an exception on the oak for Raveneau.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:24 pm

I'm glad I started the discussion I expected. Note that I didn't say the Swan wine was LIKE Chablis, I said its structure was REMINISCENT of Chablis. And it was.
I'd like to continue this in person, but I'll have to leave it to the erudite members of this group, as I leave tomorrow morning for about a month's trip to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island and Easter Island, with enough time in Santiago, Chile to do some checking out of the bibulous scene there.

See you all sometime after November 10!

John
John in the wine county