The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Lodi wineries

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Lodi wineries

by Shaji M » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:31 pm

Yes, I know about the "mass market high alcohol" offerings from Lodi. But, I will be there in 2 weeks and hope to have some time off to taste the local wines. Anything you might recommend? Thanks.
Shaji
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Lodi wineries

by Jon Peterson » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 pm

I have flipped over a Zin called Earthquake from Michael~David Winery in Lodi. I went to a dinner party and had a glass right after the bottle was opened. It was out of this world and by far the best Zin I've ever had. The whopping 15% alcohol was well balanced with ripe tannins and classic Zin flavors. If this wine is any indication, this is a place to visit. The following is from their website http://www.lodivineyards.com/index.htm:

Over the top and shattering to the veins, all varietals under the Earthquake label are Michael and David’s reserve level wines. These wines possess major concentration and daring flavor with only a limited production offered each year. The original was the Earthquake Zin that came from an old Lodi vineyard planted around the time of San Francisco’s great earthquake in 1906. While mulling over a label name in the vineyard, Michael Phillips thought it only seemed fitting to relate this intense wine with the historical quake. With over 15% alcohol and bold tannins, these dark and voluminous wines will definitely leave your senses quivering.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

a Lodi weekend

by Shaji M » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:25 pm

It was a beautiful weekend in Lodi. Besides our real reason for the visit (soccer tournaments), we managed to sneak in some tastings at local wineries.
Our first stop was Ripken. The Ripkens are primarily growers. They make wine out of approximately 1% of what they grow and the rest is sold to other wineries. Strikingly, Zinfandel and Chardonnay were absent from their lineup. A lot of Rhones. Their 2003 Syrah "Under the Sea" - named for their vineyards which stand below sea level -stood out because it was not over the top and still showed the fruit beautifully. A 2004 Tempranillo "El Matador" was also notable and did not show too much heat (15% alc). They had a zesty late harvest Viognier and a really nice port. The whites (Viognier, Rousanne blends) were a little too simple for my palate although they had decent acidity. This winery is a family affair and Madelyn Ripken who poured and took us on a short tour of the winery displayed the pride they took in their work. This is a young winery (6 vintages I was told). Lots of potential here. Ripken is a good example that shows that fine wines can come from Lodi.
Next we went to Michael-David (thanks Jon). It was a good recommendation. The 2005 Earthquake Zin is no doubt a BIG Zin. Gobs of fruit without being cloying. They also had an unusual 2006 Petite Sirah-Petit Verdot blend (cocoa, earth, tobaccoish). Also on the tasting menu was $59 Zin named Envy which for my taste had way too much oak (and cost). The tasting room is incorporated with a cafe and produce place. Right on Hwy12, this place was teeming with tourists.
We arrived at Jessies Grove the same time they were having a release party. So while they had a lot of wines out for tasting, the pourers were harried (while stll remaining friendly). Their white 2006 Jessence Blanc is a blend of Viognier and Rousanne. Interestingly the grapes came from the Ripken vineyards. This white was definitely complex and tasty. They had a Zin lineup and the 2005 Westwind Zin was the one that struck a better balance of fruit and oak. The 2005 Royal Tee Zin showed more oak and proportionately higher price. They had a pretty good 2005 ancient vines Carignan which I liked, but I haven't had enough Carignan to have a reference point. This is also a beautiful vineyard and I would have liked to have come here without the throng.
Lockeford, which is probably 15 minutes east of Lodi is where Crystal Valley Cellars reside. Part of the Cosentino winery, we tried the 2006 CigarZin and an Estate Ancient Vine 2005 Zin both of which were pretty concentrated raspberryish zins with varying oak treatments. I liked them both, but like the Earthquake from Michael-David, these are not wines I could handle every day.
Yes good Zins can come from Lodi, but there are other wines that make the grade as well.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 am

Nice to hear about your trip and glad that Michael-David worked out. I appreciate you notes, too - I think you should post them on the wine forum page as well.
no avatar
User

Kathy Howe

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat May 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Northern California

by Kathy Howe » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:51 am

I live near Lodi so I visit Lodi wineries fairly often. One of my favorites recently opened its own tasting room. It's Macchia and is located at 7099 E. Peltier Road. The town is actually Acampo. They make a wonderful peppery Zinfandel that I love. They also have other Zinfandel that is less spicy as well as Barbera, Port, and Petite Sirah.

For more on Lodi wineries http://www.cheers2wine.com/Lodi-wineries.html